Eighteen

With Bitsy sitting on Maria's lap and Cori learning how to braid from Roberta, the boys noisily left the second story of the house.  The two women looked towards the front of the house while Natasha got her camera ready.  It sounded like a stampede, but the alpha still felt the need to announce, "Here they are!"

            Roberta let out a low whistle and complimented the pre-teens, "Don't you all look so handsome."

            "Mom," Rhodey complained while Bucky proudly clapped his hand down on Oliver's shoulder, "Clip-on ties are the best invention since sliced bread."

            "Smile!"  Maria encouraged as she got her camera ready.  Out of all the boys, the only one who did so was Kit.  Although the youngest Barnes boy wasn't old enough to go to the Valentine's Day School Dance, he still had a pink tie with white and red hearts clipped onto his gray dinosaur sweatshirt.

            "Our little men," Natasha held her hand up to her chest, over her heart.

            Tears were prickling in Steve's eyes as he looked over the twelve year olds.  Their freshly ironed button-ups and black dress slacks.  With Oliver's floppy brown hair combed and slicked with a side part, Steve was reminded of the toddler that had wanted to look just like his daddy.

            "We need to leave," Tony looked at his cellphone.

            "Anthony," Maria gave him a pointed look, "Manners."

            "But the dance," Tony insisted.

            "Manners," his mother repeated.

            Rolling his eyes, Tony sighed and reiterated, "Can we please leave soon?"

            "After a couple more pictures," Natasha said.  And since Tony was still a little afraid of the alpha, he didn't argue.

            Calling the rest of the kids in, they did a group shot of just the Greene kids, then all the kids, and then just the twelve year olds.  Steve hadn't even been expecting a picture with his oldest son until Natasha suggested, "Now the parents!"

            Steve and Bucky stood behind Oliver, Roberta stood behind Rhodey while holding a picture of her ex-husband, Colonel Terrence Rhodes, who was on another tour in Afghanistan, and Maria stood behind Tony. Quietly, Maria told Steve that her ex-husband, Howard, was supposed to surprise Tony, but she hadn't heard from him at all that day.

            It made Steve even more thankful that his mate had been there from the jump.  Sadly, Steve did know what it felt like firsthand to not grow up with his father.  And he knew that just like his own mother, Maria was a badass, and she was one of the best moms anyone could ask for.

            "Okay!  Let's –"

            Ding-dong!

            Steve's brows furrowed and Bucky seemed equally confused.  Thinking over what Maria said, Steve suddenly felt nervous.  Especially if thee Howard Stark was at their house.  When was the last time that the boys cleaned their rooms?  Were there any cobwebs in the high corners of the rooms that he had difficulty reaching.  When was the last time he vacuumed?  Had he dusted their wedding China recently?

            Following Bucky to the front door, Steve held his breath as his husband opened the door revealing Howard's assistant.  A sour note came behind him, and Steve turned to find Tony deflating with his disappointment.  Before anyone could comfort him, he turned and entered the half-bath.

            "Well, c'mon in," Bucky held his arm out towards the rest of the house.  The younger man entered with a timid smile.  Steve imagined that chauffeuring pre-teens wasn't in his job description, let alone their understandable emotional breakdowns from being disappointed in their father seeming too busy to see his own son.