Chapter 40

Glenn

I squint in the dark, ruffling my keys around. I'm glad to be home after such a long hard day at work. The porch light isn't on so it was difficult to see anything. Stravos didn't meet me in the office as planned and that was a bit strange, he would always see me there for important business.

Letting myself inside, the brief case hits the floor as exhaustion sets in. I felt like I was injected by a strong dosage of anesthesia.

"Glenn!"

I saw Serenity running towards me, lavender swirls into my nostrils in a gush, when she throws her arms around my neck.

My arms encircled her, allowing her scent to quell away all the tension of work, this was the best part of the day for me, holding her.

"I tried calling you but your phone went to voicemail."

She says hitting my chest, tears were pouring down her face and I gently wiped at them.

"I was worried."

"It's okay. There's nothing wrong with me, my phone battery died and I had no idea I'd come home this late."

She pushed her hand into my jacket and rested them at the lower area of my back, she sighs with relief, warming my chest.

"I'm sorry I made you worry baby gorl.."

Her eyes shoots up at me faster than a bullet.

"What's wrong?"

"It is girl, not gorl."

She gave me a quick correction and my face suddenly heats up.

I tried pronouncing it better.

"Giirrol .. dammit, gorol --"

She burst out laughing and my ears turned warm. It was my accent surfacing and she's definitely enjoying me struggle with the pronunciation. I spoke English well but some words deem much harder to say.

I didn't really like how I sound so I've tried to cover my accent but it takes a hold of my tongue at times.

She laughed to tears and I groan.

"Do not force yourself," her eyes lowered and she blushes, "I think it's sexy."

I leant into her for a kiss but stopped to see a love bite on her neck.

With trembling hands, my eyes slowly went to hers and she tensed.

"There must be a reason for this." I spoke under my breath."

She glanced at me confused,"A reason for what?"

I breathed out long and hard feeling my anger rise, "Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about."

Her frame started shaking and she swallows visibly, so she does know. Who the hell is she seeing behind my back?

"I, I do not know -"

"You know! Stop pretending." I hissed, "Why do you have a love bite on your neck?"

She gasp.

Balling my fists tighter, I tried to control myself but my lid flew right off.

"Who marked you?!"

Her body jumped and tears sprung from her eyes.

"Stravos came --"

"Ahh!!"

There's only pain an  encompassing pain, that threatened to drown me with every breath.