Chapter One

"Good morning,"

A sweet voice battered at my eardrums, yet, I still wouldn't open my eyes. While I was conscious now, they felt lined with cast iron; just too impossible to open.

"Come on, wake up before coffee gets cold. And, I have to go to work,"

Even in my sleepy state, I could recognize the sweet, masculine voice anywhere.

"The only good thing about waking up is having coffee right after." I grumbled. I opened my eyes finally, against my will , and sloppily threw my legs over the side of the bed. My feet dangled over the edge, maybe an inch or so above the floor I just knew would be cold when I finally stood.

I heard soft wrinkling of clothing, then the harsh zip of a jacket.

"Listen, I'm going to be late to work so I gotta get goin'",

I stood slowly; God forbid I stood too quickly, I'd probably hit the floor.

"Okay," I yawned, extending one arm out for a hug while I used my other arm to rub against my eyes.

I felt a warm embrace, quick but loving nonetheless.

"I love you, (Name), and I'll be back just in time for dinner."

As he pulled away, he kissed my cheek, and that's when I smelled it. The familiar scent of his poison of choice. I wouldn't dare raise a question, especially since he was leaving for work.

"I'm gonna make tacos tonight, would you pick up a pack of tomatoes on your way home from work later?"

He nodded curtly, turning on his heel he made his way to the front door. From our shared bedroom, it was a straight shot from the entrance of the room to the front door. He opened the door and shut it behind him as he left, then opened the door again not even a second after. He shot me a glance, smiling.

"Forgot my laptop!"

His tall form disappeared once more behind the door, and it didn't open again.

He knew. Just by his sudden hurry to leave, I knew he knew. I wore my emotions on my face, even if I tried to hide what I was feeling, it tends to show regardless.

Once again, his breath smelled of alcohol. This time, it was so strong I could smell it as he kissed my cheek. Sometimes, he would wake up early just to drink before work. He got to the point where he could be obliterated, yet still work, and still function.

The worst part about the whole drinking ordeal was that he would get intensely aggressive if confronted about the issue. He once went so far to hide it that he had convinced me he was sober for over four months, only to discover he had been hiding 4 ounce shot bottles in the water tank of the toilet. I had tried to leave once I found the bottles. I packed up every last bit of my belongings with full intention to call a taxi and get dropped off at some cheap hotel in the next town over, but in his drunken and angry state, he had slung me over his shoulder and locked me into the guest bedroom, which was the only room in the house that didn't have windows due to the poor planning of the house.

He didn't unlock the door until 3pm the next day, which is why I no longer had a job. I was supposed to work at the local pet store that morning, but missing my shift without a way to call in led to me being fired, as that hadn't been the first time I missed an entire shift due to him.