Midnight Pick Pocketing

Chapter One

Violet P.O.V

It was late.

But it was always late when I did my job. Very few people were out at this time of the night. I spotted my first target easily. Moving with ease I kept my head down, avoiding eye contact. All the store lights were closed, only the street lamps provided a source of light. I needed to steer my target out of public.

I assumed that my target was rich. After all she was carrying a nice shiny Gucci handbag that seemed to scream "Steal me!". So I did. I rolled my tattered sleeve up revealing biceps. Yes, I guess I was a girl but after all you needed to be strong to do this job right?

I only stole from the rich. The rich were always snobby and acted like they were better than everyone. I guess I was like Robin Hood in some way. Her high heels made it easy to locate her. My worn out sneakers made no noise I was kind of like a cougar slinking toward my prey.

The girl walked into a narrow alleyway steering herself. I made my way toward her not even bothering to hide myself. She had blonde hair and a shiny short dress with matching blue heels. She kept her head down texting away on her phone as if the world depended on it. She glanced up every five seconds to see if she was going the right way.

Beads of sweat trickled down my forehead, adrenaline pumped through my veins. Sure I had done this about a thousand times but the same exhilarating power flowed through my body. Making each of my steps bounce more and more.

She was almost leaving the alleyway, a few seconds and she would be gone. I cursed under my breath for dreaming off and rushed forward preparing for a tackle.

I don't know what shocked her more, the sudden force that knocked her to the ground or my warrior cry. I covered my face with my hands and snatched her purse. She fell to the ground with a loud, dramatic clatter, skinning both her knees. Her phone slipped to the ground and breaking into pieces. "NO!" I heard her cry as I dashed away with her purse. The sounds of her sobs grew more and more quiet as I ran away.

I sprinted as far as I could before collapsing onto a park bench gasping for air. I thought about the girls sad broken face when I ran away with her purse. Then shook my head to clear the images. Just a rich snob I reminded myself. Rich snob.

Once I regained my breath I licked my chapped lips and opened the big Gucci purse. I dug my hand around searching for a wallet.

After a second or two I grasped the rough material of a wallet and took it out. My mouth formed a big O with surprise. Two thousand puffing dollars!?

I'm rich I thought doing a happy little dance. I can buy new clothes for myself and new sneakers-oh- the luxurious items I  can buy! Giggling I plopped down on the bench. I don't need to steal for a whole week now!

When I thought of my family, My little brother Jem and my ill mother I looked down at the ground in shame. I was only thinking about myself! I was so selfish! I pounded my fists on my knees in guilt before taking a slow breath and standing up.

Time to do the second part of my job I thought wearily as i dug in the purse for an I.D. I pulled one out and began reading.

Gigi Hawks it said in bold black letter. Drivers license. I dug around in her purse more until I found her address. It was on a tiny piece of paper all wrinkled and worn out. Wow, She is so stupid she can't even remember her own address? I scanned the paper quickly memorizing the address.

1567 Maple dawn Avenue.

My next destination.