chapter 19 : In-Between

╔═.✵.══════════╗
Annie
╚══════════.✵.═╝

Running through the forest, the branches whip my legs. I am barefoot. The stones hurt with each step, but I move forward anyway.

Fear pierces me from the inside. What is going on? I hide and stay hidden until I don't hear the footsteps that followed me earlier. Feeling safe for the first time, I collapse, exhausted.

When I open them again, I find myself in the hollow of a tree, hidden under its roots and surrounded by leaves and mud.

The smell of decomposition does not bother me. I have always loved nature, and it reassures me. This place could be home for an animal and a large one since I could enter.

The pit in my stomach pushes me to move forward. I crawl my way out in a haste. In a state of alertness, I feel it. I don't want to meet the beast that this cavity belongs to. How did I get here?

An image of two muscular men chasing me emerges before me for a split second.

Then it clicks. It's that dream again. The one that keeps hunting my dreams for the past few years.

Someone sent kidnappers. Davon was the name. I don't need to know why he sent them. I know I don't wish to be a part of it. My body hair blisters in response.

The chilly morning wind makes my skin tingle as I stand by the tree. Teeth chattering, arms clutching my abdomen, I walk.

But where? Where am I?

"I have to retrace my steps." I glance around, trying to remember.

"Because you drew a mental map while clinging to your kidnapper's shoulders," she is sarcastic.

Where is this voice coming from? I search around, but I am alone. Aside from the trees, pine trees, and chirping birds, I see no one.

"Who are you? Are you my conscience?"

"I'm Leah, and I'm going to help you get out of this alive." The female voice beams with confidence.

I am dreaming. It's insane. Now I hear voices in my head. Yes, must be dreaming.

"Okay, Leah, where are we?" I test the voice. Maybe this dream, I can control it to my liking and find answers before I wake up.

One thing is certain, don't know this forest well, but I know we're not home anymore. Do you see that tree? It's not a hardwood or a conifer. It moves and turns toward the light. Look at its leaves.

I am puzzled. What she is talking about. Can dreams teach you new knowledge? I hesitate. What is this place?

Reality strikes, this dream, I know it, this dream. After I last woke up, Mother sent me to college.

This is the dream that carved a gap of two days in my life.

I look around with interest.

The tree that looked like a normal spring tree was leaning like an umbrella, its branches full of leaves opening up to the sun. As I look around at the other trees around me, I notice one turning toward the sunlight.

"I will follow your instructions, I promise," one thing is for sure,
I want to know what's next. How dangerous can this be?

As if I paused the dream, the scenery moved again as soon as I spoke.

"I've seen these trees before, the day some men captured Dad after a fierce fight. An ally took us back home, but before leaving, he told us that this was our home, our real homeland. Though he wished we could stay, it was premature, and we needed to hide until our power unleashed. They would wait for our return," Leah continued.