"You're...?"

"Captain McCullen of the Black Star. So, what is your answer, Mr. Banks? I'm to understand Lady Bentley is not a very patient woman."

"I tell you where Mr. McAllister is and you'll give me my freedom?"

Clara corrected, "You tell me where Mr. McAllister is and I will send men to fetch him. And if he is still living, then you may live too."

Mr. Banks swallowed hard, but he knew he had no other choice. "He's being held in the slums of Whitechapel."

Clara's heart filled with fear. Whitechapel is overcrowded and littered with crime. The working and living conditions in that area were horrendous. No one from the outer boroughs would dare travel there. Especially at night, as the streets were dimly lit to hide the heinous crimes carried out there. Clara was distraught. They've had Benjamin captive there for days.

McCullen let out a whistle and the two men that traveled behind them came into the room.

"The exact address if you please, Mr. Banks?" Clara demanded.

"He's being held in a broken-down hovel on Lindley." Mr. Banks gave them the exact address.

"Boys, you are to take our new guest here down to the hold and keep a watch. Something tells me this one is as slippery as an eel."

The two men pulled Mr. Banks roughly from his chair.

"I have your word I will have my freedom upon Benjamin's return?" Mr. Banks yelled as the men dragged him to the door.

"I will set you free, Mr. Banks, but how and where I will leave up to the Captain. Right now, you best pray that my beloved is alive and well."

Captain McCullen waved for the men to take Mr. Banks away, and Clara could hear him yelling as they took him to the hold. 

"You promised me my freedom! Do you plan to maroon me? This wasn't the deal! Clara? Clara!"

Captain McCullen stood. "Right then, I am off to retrieve Benji. Anything you would like me to tell him when I find him?"

"Nothing I can't tell him myself."

"You expect me to let you go into Whitechapel?" McCullen shook his head. "No, it can't be done."

Clara stood up to face James. "And who is going to stop me?"

Captain McCullen grabbed hold of Clara and pulled her close to him. Before she could react, James kissed her passionately. As expected, her hand flew up to slap him. This time, Captain McCullen was ready for the strike and grabbed her wrist. That is when Clara felt it, the shackle he placed around it.

"James, no! Please don't do this. I have to get him. I must save him."

"You already have, in more ways than you are even aware." James pulled her to the bed and shackled the other end to his bedpost. 

"I'm sorry Clara, but this time you can't go. As much as I love that fighter's spirit. I can't have you distracting me from doing what needs to be done to save Benjamin, and I care too much for you not to be distracted. I meant what I said. I will return with Benjamin. I will give you your happily ever after."

Tears streamed down Clara's face. "Why the kiss?"

James grinned as he donned his mask again. "Nothing is a guarantee, Clara, and if I don't make it back... well. Pirate," he said, pointing to himself. "There is no redemption for me, so you'll have to forgive me for stealing that last bit of happiness for myself."

Clara sat on the bed, knowing she was defeated. McCullen stationed two different men to guard the door. She had no choice but to sit and wait.

__________