What is Love?

Clary's pov

*TWO WEEKS LATER*

It had been two weeks since Jace had been in the car accident, and he still hadn't woken up. Everyone had been trying to stay positive but the doctors had said that he wasn't doing so good.

Everyday me Isabelle, Alec, and Sebastian went and visited him. We all still hung out but no one could ignore the the sadness that hung over us knowing that Jace still hadn't woken up.

Sebastian had taken it the hardest. He didn't talk that much anymore, he only spoke when spoken to. Even then, he would only mumble a few words then stare off into the distance sadly. Isabelle had tried to lift his spirits by taking him places several times, but nothing had worked.

As for me, well I tried to distract myself from it. I had been trying drawing more, but all I could draw was Jace. Currently, I was sitting in English class trying to ignore that the desk to my right remained empty. As it had for the past two weeks.

"Okay class, as you know we are writing stories, and to achieve that we need to know how to express and describe different emotions." Mr. Thompson said.

"Let's start with an easy one, love. Can anyone share with us what they think love is?" He asked.

I feel myself raising my hand, and Mr. Thompson called on me.

"Ms. Fray." He nodded at me.

I thought for a second about the question. "Love is when someone's happiness matters more than your own. It's when you would do anything for that person, die for them even. Love takes your choices away." I finished

Everyone turned and stared at me and I felt my face going redder by the second.

"Excellent description Ms. Fray, does anyone else want to share?" Mr. Thompson said.

I stopped listening to what Mr. Thompson was saying, and zoned out. My eyes wandered to Jace's empty seat. I remembered my first day of school here, and how even then I had thought he was beautiful. And the time where he apologized to me countless for the incident at Sebastian's party. Sebastian.

I shifted my gaze to see him staring forward. There were huge bags under his eyes and he looked more pale than usual. I hadn't seen him smile once in the two weeks Jace had been in the hospital.

Suddenly Mr. Thompson addressed me Alec, Isabelle, and Sebastian.

"Isabelle and Alec's mother is here to pick the four of you up." He said and I looked over at Isabelle who just shrugged her shoulders confused.

We all walked down to the office in the silence, until I broke it.

"I wonder if this is about Jace. What if he..." I broke off.

"Don't even say it." Alec said sadly.

We reached the office where a tired Maysre sat. When she saw us she stood up and we walked to her.

"Please don't say it mom." Isabelle said as tears slid down her cheeks. "Don't tell me he's gone."

"He isn't." Mayrse smiled. "He's awake."