T W E N T Y - T H R E E

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

"Are we dismissed now, father?" Suho asked as he rubbed the sides of his head. Did he actually get a headache just by talking to his father?

"Why leave this early? It is my first time meeting Paige, why not stay here until later?" Mr. Damon asked.

They all looked worriedly at me. "But Mr. Damon, is it safe for the boys to stay here? Especially him," I pointed Sehun once again. "This place is filled with people, sir." I explained.

"The floor is only exclusive for me and my sons. You can just stay here, there's a lot of things to do here. I'm sure you'll only be bored if you stay in the mansion. It's just for tonight." I had no choice but to nod. I can't say no to the man, it's hard to decline his offer.

The boys exchanged looks before sighing in defeat. "Just for tonight. We'll leave first thing in the morning." Luhan said.

Their father eagerly smiled. "Good. It's been a while since you stayed with me anyway." he walked over towards me. "And Paige, I thought I told you to call me daddy?" he bent over my shoulder.

I flinched before slowly turning to him. "B-but... I'm not really your daughter, sir." I uneasily answered. I seriously thought that he was just joking. He surely is an odd man, one of his sons call him old man and the other calls him pops.

"You will be," he chuckled as he took a glance at Sehun who immediately turned away from us.

"Please do stop teasing her," Xiumin groaned. "She'll call you Mr. Damon and that's that" he said.

"Well, she'll learn to call me that soon. After all, none of you called me daddy. Father is too formal, pops is informal and old man is just downright disrespectful." he said. I had to stifle my laughter because I thought laughing now would be rude.

Mr. Damon laughed suddenly. "Sorry about that Paige," he said. "I just thought you'd call me that since you'll be my daughter soon," he said.

My eyes widened and I nearly choked. "Excuse me?" I asked him. The others seemed to have the same reaction as well.

"Why is everyone so shocked?" Mr. Damon asked. "She is Sehun's mate. Whether she likes it or not, she's bound to spend the rest of her life with him. The same thing goes for Sehun." he explained.

"Nonsense," our heads turned when Sehun slammed his fist on the table. "I already told you that she didn't have a choice. We're different compared to you and mother. We didn't start off as friends, I didn't slowly fall for her, and I didn't ask for her hand. I don't even know what we are. Classmates? Friends? Acquaintances? Heck, I don't even know if we're anywhere near that." he seethed.

"Father, I don't even love her,"

I didn't know why but I felt hurt after hearing him say that. I froze on my seat, unable to move. Why am I reacting like this? What he said did have a point. It wasn't really Sehun that chose me to be his mate, it was his demon form. It just so happens that I'm the only person that's vulnerable enough to be claimed by him. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Sehun, that's enough." Baekhyun said. "You've said too much."

Sehun suddenly looked surprised with what he said. He ran his fingers through his hair due to frustration. He sighed as he took a deep breath.

I don't even know how I should react right now. Thinking about what Sehun said just now... it stings. I don't even know why I'm this hurt.

"Paige, are you alright?" Tao said. My eyes widened in surprise when I felt tears on my face.