One (Part 2)

Alex

I don't feel any more powerful than I did when I went to sleep last night. I feel the same. I kinda want and expect a feeling of power to run through my veins, but there is nothing. Maybe the occasional open thought from a pack member, but nothing else.

I rise out of bed and rub my face to wipe away the sleep. There's a knock on the door. "Come in," I call. The door opens and I look up at Karter. My official Beta now. Something flashes across his face as he saw me. Nothing huge, but something I can't catch. I look down at my blue PJ pants and bare torso. I look back at him.

I had no idea what could make him this way. He looks just like me, for as humanly possible. I guess since we're not humans though that's different.

"Yes?" I ask Karter. He snaps out of a trance he appeared to be in. He looks at me.

He stutters for a moment before saying, "breakfast?"

I shake my head. "Maybe later." I nod to him. He nods back. He was about to leave before he stops. He turns to me and I watch as he goes from the door to me to the door back to me back to the door. "Yes?" I ask him.

He looks at me. He sighs and shuts the door, coming and sitting next to me. "I have something to tell you."

Karter is my best friend. I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that he has something he's hiding. "What's up?" I ask. He looks at my torso quickly before looking back at me. What is with him? Do I look like an Alpha now? Was I glowing? I remember sometimes I used to think my dad glowed. He wasn't but I like to think he did.

"I raced this SSC Ultimate Aero yesterday." He said.

"That red one we've seen around town?" I ask. I would kill to get my hands on that car. It's beautiful.

"Yeah. Well, I raced them. And I met the person who drives it." He said. He still seems off. Something's wrong.

"Who was he?" I ask.

He pauses. "Her." He said raising his eyebrows. I'm a little taken back. I do believe girls can drive fast cars I'm not a sexist pig. But wow. A girl driving that car was something really cool and new to me. It was different. "And, well we got to talking."

"She hot?" I ask. I'm still a boy. I'm aware I have a mate but still.

He pauses then thinks it over. "I guess, I don't really know."

"How do you not know?" I laugh a little. He doesn't laugh, which means whatever he's about to tell me is really big.

"Well, she said that she can read faces," he said. Where is this going? "And that I wasn't aroused when I looked at her."

What? I don't understand. Why is this a big deal? So he's not attracted to her. Maybe he's- oh.

I raise my eyebrows and stare at him as I piece it together. For as long I've known Karter, we've hit up clubs and girls. We were the players on the playground. Masters in bed. It's our legacy. The Alphas son and his best friend had a reputation to uphold. I scratch my head. "Are . . . Are you sure?" I ask.

Was he sure? Like he would lie? Of course, he's sure! My wolf yells at me.

"Uhm," he seems a little wary. "Yes." He confirms. I nod. This was a lot to take in. Holy shit. He's always been gay! I don't have a problem with it, but the number of times that we've changed together. The number of times we've talked about girls and getting laid. Oh gosh.

"Congrats?" I said. He stares at me, then begins to laugh. I laugh too. "Sorry." I breathe.

"No problem." He says, our laughter died down.