Exit Fee

I pull the two doors open slow and look inside. Bingo. A gloss black safe with a brass 5-spoke handle and digital keypad displaying the words 'ENTER PASSKEY' fill the cabinet completely.

I place a finger on the number six key and stop. I almost hope this combination doesn't work. I can tell Principal Moore he got bad information from his friend.

6

I move my finger to the nine key. Hmm, too risky. That could start a war between the principal, his friend, and me.

9

Why am I trippin'? All I'm doing is taking a small book. I move my finger back to the six.

6

And in the process gaining security for Mack and my graduation, and the ability to help Moet out. This should be a no-brainier for a top notch hustling school student. Time for the final digit.

Click!  'PASSKEY ACCEPTED'

Well I'll be damn, that code is good as gold chains. Who uses 6-9-6-9 as a password anyways? "A pimp that's who." I answer myself with a whisper.

I spin the brass spoke and pull the door open. A few thick stacks of cash, two purple velvet mystery baggies, a crystal decanter of Louis XIII cognac, and a single drawer at the bottom are inside. No books in the main area, maybe in the drawer? 

I pull the drawers brass half moon pull and see a little black book with the word 'poison' embossed in gold lettering siting on top of a stack of papers. Mission complete. As I reach for the book I notice my name on the top sheet of the paper stack. What's this? I pick up the half-inch thick bundle and read the top line. 

'ACTORS CONTRACT for Riff JenkinsKenny Emmons Production Company c/o agent Ken Emmons.'

C-r-e-e-k.

The door. Oh damn. I whip my head around.

"Riff," Vixenett whispers, peeking in the door crack. "What's taking you so long?" She quietly steps into the room behind me and looks inside the safe. "The poison book. Get it and lets go."

Why is this poison book so special anyways? I pick up the book and flip through the first few pages. There are columns of names, products, payments, and notes. "This is a ledger, Vix." I run my finger down a few of the product columns and process the information. "According to this Ken was not only a pimp,  but also a drug dealer to the rich and famous. There is a whole lot of star power listed in here, and politicians, too." I flip a few more pages in and find photos of famous people in compromising positions. "Some of these bureaucrats are sure enough freaks.

"Let me see." Vixenett hovers in over my shoulder.

I quickly flip a few more pages into the book and stop. "Look. There is even detailed info on the Russian mafia in here." I read down the page. "Oh, and the Mexican cartels. Wow, this is crazy." I don't know what Principal Moore wants to do with this book, but it can't be anything good." I put the book back in the safe and pick up the stack of papers with my name on it. "Look, Vix. This is a contract for me." I point to the bottom line. "It includes a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus." I look in closer to verify what I am reading. Yep, a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus with my name on it. "Can't do it."  I will not be doing principals dirty work. This contract means I have a new future. Principal can get the poison book on his own. "This hustle is off, Vix. I don't want anything messing with my pending contract situation."

"Huh," Vixenett hisses. "Just get on with whatever you are going to do, we both in a bad spot right here. I'm gonna check the hall."

I put the contract back, and position the poison book precisely as it was. "There we go." Everything is back just the way I found it. Time to get back to this party as if none of this ever took place. I am going to do some things with this signing bonus. Big things.

"Don't move," whispers a devilish voice behind my head. The unmistakable feel of a cold, hard gun barrel pushes in my left ear. 

"What?" I start to turn around but stop when a sharp edge press' against my throat. I don't move a muscle. "Uh." I got a gun to my head and a knife to my throat. What does the hustlers play book say about getting out of these situations? Mouthpiece.

"This is not what you think." I say hushed. Damn, I am only a few hours away from signing a contract that will start me on the way to a new life. But now this. "I can explain."

"My father said you might back out of this hustle." Says the voice, now softer.

Wait, I know that voice. "Vixenett, is that you?" The blade press' tighter into my neck causing warm blood to drip onto my hand. "Vix? Really? Principal Moore is your father?" The blade press' in even tighter.

"Your dumb ass should have known," Vixenett says. "That poison book is worth ten racks to me. This bottom rising to the t-o-p. Now flip the book back this way and I'm gone."

B-A-M-B!  Vixenett falls down to the floor knocked out cold. 

I push her body away and turn around. Who did that?

Moet stands with a large old fashion clothes iron in her hand. "Looks like you need to re-take the class called 'Turn a Tramp into a Champ,' Riff." She pulls the irons cord taut, gets down on one knee, and wraps it around Vixenett's hands. "What's up with your bottom? She ain't loyal."

I kneel next to Vixenett. "Turns our she's principals bottom, and wanted to cut me out of this hustle."  I pick up the knife and examine the blade. "Cut me out for real." I slide the knife and gun into my waistband. "Trust nothing but the game, Mo. Time for damage control."

I return the safe to its original locked state, then drag Vixenett back down the hall to a bathroom. Wake up, Vix." I  drop a hand into the toilet and splash some of the water onto her face. "Wake up."

Vixenett shakes her head. "W-what is this,"  she stutters. "I was..."

 "This is your story," I cut her off.  "You got drunk and fell. If you got a problem with that Moet and I will clarify that you were trying to break into the safe."

Vixenett looks around and rubs the back of her head. "Who hit me?"

I pull a fifth of cognac from my back pocket and splash some of its contents on top of Vixenett's head. "Let's get this tramp to the car, Mo"

Moet and I hold up Vixenett between us and walk her downstairs. "You got drunk and fell, Vix"

At the bottom of the stairs Mack takes over for Moet and looks at me crazy. "Damn, what happened to this one?"

"Later," I say.

Five security guards surround us. "What are you all doing up stares?" One of them says. "What's wrong with her?"

Time to smooth this out. "She throwing up off that Henny," I say. "We about to get her home."

The man grimaces. "You just do that," he  points to the door. "Now. Get her out of here now."

Outside I shove Vixenett into the Limo and dust myself off. I can't believe she tried to do me like that.

The driver steps out of the front door and wipes his face down with a hand. "Is the party over already?"

"It is for Vixenett." I say. "Get her back to Daygo for me. Tell Principal Moore I'll see him in the morning."

"How we getting home?" Mack asks.

I take Moet's hand and look at her with a big smile. "We will work that out later, Mack. Right now we got some more partying to do, and there is a pending announcement I don't want to miss."

"That works for me!" Mack dances around us back to the party. "You ain't got to tell me more then once. I already got me a few Hollywood dime pieces on the line."

"For sure," I say. "There is a pending announcement I don't want to miss."