𝑺𝒆𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒔

I float through the bright dance room. I weave my way through the crowd to see Nina. She seduces a young man. I find an old officer by the looks of it. He wears medals on his broad chest. He stands with a class of Champane in his hand as he speaks to the younger drukstrile. I purposefully rip Infront of him and he catches me by my waist.

"Are you alright, miss?" He asks.

"Oh, I am so sorry. My boots aren't very good for walking." 

I laugh and stand. I brush off my corset and stand with my chest out and my chin down. I take on the most seductive, innocent look I can muster. I do a dman good job of it because his yes flick to my breasts and his lips curl in a devious smile.

"No worries dear." He keeps a hand on my elbow as he leads me around the room. "I'm Yaro Brum."

"Sasha Golden." I lie with a grin as he takes my hand and pleases a soft kiss on the skin. "Oh this party is just wonderful isn't it."

"It is. Today a group of my finest Fyerdan Drukstrile trainees has graduated." He says proudly.

"Oh, that is wonderful. You are a Drukstrile, yes?" I smile sweetly.

"Yes, I am. I am the highest-ranking Drukstrile." He says proudly.

"Oh, that is wonderful." I squeal with delight. "I've always wanted to see a Grisha." I place my hands on his chest and laugh.

"We have rooms full of the Grisha devils."

"Really?" I try not to stiffen as he folds his arms around my waist. "Oh, how I've yearned to see the devils in chains." We share a smile and his hands slide over my body.

"Well, then I'll just have to show you one then." I step back and clap my hands.

"Oh, are you sure it's allowed?" I squeal with delight.

"Not one bit. But for you my dear," he takes my chin in his hands. "anything." I force myself to melt into the cold hands on my face.

He slings an arm over my waist and leads me away. We pass through a garden and I make a show of asking questions about anything.

"Ooh is this the greenhouse?" I ask with a bubbly laugh.

"No this is the old treasury, dear." He says with a low chuckle.

Inside there are rows and rows of cells. Groaning Grisha lay, dying on cold floors. Drains on the floor provide for a relief system. I hold back my frightened gasp as I peer into one of the cells.

"This is what these devils deserve." I hold back my disgust as I throw my arms around him.

"Oh thank you. I agree, these devils deserve less." I look up at him with a smile. "If anything this is kind, compared to what they deserve." The words taste like lead on my tongue.

"Would you like to see it up close?" He says with a mischievous grin. My stomach knots and I slowly nod, working out ways to torture information on the scientist before I kill him. He leads me to an empty cell. "Ladies first." Stupidly, I listen and step inside.

I hear the door slam shut behind me. My survival instincts kick in and I whirl around, pounding on the door. I move to the window with tears streaming down my face. Brum smirks and dangles a pair of keys in front of me. I angrily pound on the glass.

"You thought you could hide those little tricks?" Confusion is all I feel with anger.

"What?" I demand. "What tricks?"

"Your little water magic." I inhale and see the water drying from my shoe and the water droplet when the Grisha woman touched my wrist. "You witch, you lied between your barbed teeth." I smile with my teeth.

"Do these look barbed you barbarian?" I freeze as I see Matthias emerge from the shadows. "What?"

"Hello, Emris." Matthias stands in front of the glass.

"Matthias. I am going to kill you."

"As nice as that sounds, we have to get back to the party." Brum comes up to the window and grins in my face. I yell and smack the glass, my anger rising. "You thought you could seduce me into getting you your money." Money?

"Would you like to see the effects of Jurda Parem take form, Matthias?" He doesn't wait for an answer before grinning. "Should I open it Ms. Arcanne?" I snarl as he uses my name.

"I would take that as a yes sir," Helvar says and I give him a salute, sticking my middle finger up in the process.

"This is the future, dear. You will have no choice but to obey under my command, with the craving of Parem in your blood."

Helvar whispers something to Brum, sending them in a hushed conversation. Helvar looks at me and I spit towards him. I stand with my fists on the glass and the devil in my eyes. I find myself wishing Kaz were here. So I could see him once more before I become a slave.

I look up and see Matthias choking Brum. A twisted feeling goes through my stomach. I stand and peer farther through the window. I watch as Brum slowly goes unconscious. Anger and fear slowly deep into respect and glee. I wait as Matthias pulls something from Brum's neck and drags his limp body into a neighbor's cell.

"Took you long enough," I say as Matthias opens the door.

"You looked like you believed my little act."

"Well, I didn't have reason to trust you." I smile. "Now I do." He dangles a golden key in front of my face and I swat him away.

"Good because I know where he is."

"Let's go find our scientist," Nina says bursting into the room.

"Ah, you followed us." I smile.

"Well, of course, I can't leave my friend with a creepy Grisha killing psychopath." She looks at Matthias with a sheepish grin. "No offense." I laugh as Matthias walks off.

"As you said. Let's get our scientist."