Game Plan

"Up next we will cover the tragic news of Avatar Korra abandoning Republic City and her duties as the Avatar. Stay tuned."

"You've become quite popular." Kuvira says to me as she shuts off the radio. "In a different way than you were before, of course." She leans against the window sill, crosses her arms and observes me. "Would that have anything to do with your decision to break me out of prison? No offense, but I would much rather atone for my crimes in a cell than aid you in your villain awakening arc."

I scowl at her. "I'm not becoming a villain. Far from it."

My face softens and I look down at my hands, twirling my fingers around each other. "Kuvira, I'm just...tired. I'm exhausted actually. All I've wanted, ever since I was a kid, was to become the Avatar that everyone loves and depends upon. Aang made it look so easy. He stopped the fire nation's tyranny, brought peace to the four nations and formed Republic City as a symbol of that unity. He has a statue and a legacy. No matter how hard I try, how hard I fight, and no matter how much I give everything my all, I may very well go down in history as the most hated Avatar. I just can't understand why. Amon and the Equalists, Unalaq and Vaatu, Zaheer and the Red Lotus, you and the Earth Empire; I've defeated all of you and prevented each of you from turning Republic City into something horrible. I've put my life on the line each time. I can't even get a thank you from any of them. It's ridiculous! Why am I risking my life and my health over and over for people who don't even appreciate what I do for them?"

She raises her perfectly shaped eyebrow at me. "Are you asking me for advice?"

I sigh. "You have to have felt something similar to what I'm feeling. Despite your dictator desires, you did save the Earth kingdom from complete ruin and probably saved more lives than you ruined. Your ultimatum and tactics were sinister, but you did some good. No one sees the good you've done, just the bad."

"I'm not sure we can compare your situation with mine." She says hesitantly. "Regardless, I did what my heart desired. Are you doing the same? Can you honestly say that abandoning your Avatar responsibilities, despite the city's lack of gratitude, is something you want? You've left your friends and family behind. I even heard that you left your crying fiancé on the roof of a building."

I purse my lips tightly together when she says that. Yes, I did break the heart of and abandon the person I love the most. That just goes to show how dedicated I am to my resolve.

"I do see that your convictions are true, due to you possessing the ability to fly, but I feel the need to ask anyway. Are you sure? Are you really ready to walk away from it all? It's not too late to turn back. There has to be an easier way to solve your issue."

I chuckle ironically. "Why are you so eager to keep the Avatar around?"

"In spite of the fact that I'm spending the rest of my life in prison, I owe my life to you. You stepped in between me and that beam, putting your own life on the line, when you didn't have to." She lowers herself to one knee in front of me and makes eye contact. "I, for one, am very appreciative of the courage and sacrifices you are willing to exert to ensure the safety of those around you, Avatar. It would be my pleasure to assist you with whatever decision you make. I just want to be sure that it is a decision you won't come to regret."

My eyes linger on her for a moment, neither of us looking away. She's serious. Good, that's what I needed from her. "I want you to help me clean up Republic City. President Zhu Li is a huge breath of fresh air after Raiko, but she seems oblivious to the corruption still taking place around her. That's largely due to Varrick controlling what she sees. I don't doubt that he's a great husband, but he's still the same slimy, scheming businessman he's always been. Him and all the other top business men and women have too much influence over the way this country is operating. Because of that, I'm left with too many messes to clean up when they abuse their power, but no one but myself pays the price because the people we should be pointing fingers at are hiding in the shadows, orchestrating everything from the safety their wealth provides for them."