𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒃𝒆𝒓 𝑽𝒐𝒘𝒔

Emris POV

My hands freeze as we enter the city, despite my gloves. I whistle a goodby to the birds and they whistle it back. The group follows Kaz into a nearby cafe and we sit on the roof. We order food and drink before someone talks again.

"They have prisoner wagons. We can get in with one of those." Kaz says, pointing to a carriage with guards surrounding it.

"Are you sure that's not some high-ranking officer's cart?" I say, noticing the golden steps and silk curtains.

"Not that one." Kaz pushes my chin away from him and I see a ragged old cart with two guards. "That one."

"Only two guards. Seems a little unprepared."

"Fyerdan soldiers only need two to stop thieves and murders such as yourselves," Matthias says.

"Sorry to break it to you, but you are considered a criminal now." I raise my eyebrows and Helvar looks at his hands as he mutters curses. "I'm guessing you already have a plan in the hollow shell of yours." I say, turning to Kaz.

"It's not hollow. And yes I do."

We will pose as prisoners and get placed in holding cells. We will meet up in the basement and we will climb the incinerator. While Inej climbs first, Kaz and Wylan look for demo materials while the rest of us look for bo YulBar in the top level of the prison. We will cross the roof of the embassy sector and find a way to the ground and be past the checkpoints.  Jesper and Wylan will focus on making bombs while the rest of us locate Bo YulBar (most likely on White Island) and steal clothes for him. We will walk out as though nothing happened as the guards will be focused on those coming in not going out.

"Yeah, so what are the odds of us making it out of this alive?" I ask Kaz.

"Better than any of my other plans."

"Yeah no shit or it wouldn't be THE plan."

"That's why I told you this one."

"The party's tonight, right?" Jesper asks.

"Tomorrow." Nina corrects him.

"So where are we going to sleep?" Wylan asks.

"A hôtel. We will stop the carriage tomorrow."Kaz says, standing.

"I guess he's off to find the hotel." I take a sip of my drink and find the light alcohol unsatisfactory. I grimace and slam the cup down. "Is this really the strongest they have?" I ask the table.

"It's all Kaz would let us get you," Nina says as I roll my eyes.

"This barely has any alcohol in it," I whine.

"Where did you learn to sing like that?" Wylan asks.

"My da taught me a long time ago. He owned a circus and he would sing the opening to every show." I smile and watch them all lean in. I guess they would have to find out sooner or later. "I was six when they took me. I was going to be sold to a brothel but the slaver's ship crashed. Ropes got tied around me and drag me down with the ship, I almost drowned."

"So that's why you stayed in the crow's nest?" Inej concludes. I hum in agreement.

"That's where I got these." I lift my shirt to show them the rope burn scars that wind around my waist and ribs. Nina and Wylan gasp while Jesper and Matthias look dazed. I laugh and smile through the trauma.

"How can you be so, happy?" Inej asks. "I don't think I've ever seen anyone with enough trauma be as happy as you."

"Not all of us can be as somber as Kaz." I grin and take another sip. "It's a talent, darling." I smile and peel apart the waffles on my plate as we wait for Kaz to come back with keys.