44. A Third Wheel

After the last of the staff had signed out and left, Kevin led Marcy and me through the closing safety and security procedures, showed us the alarm code and gave us keys to the front door. Then, he bade us good night and headed home.

As the latch clicked behind him, Marcy pulled me into a hug. "I see why Cynthia was so enthusiastic. What a fabulous attitude among the staff."

"A huge change from Dunc's first address to them yesterday, confronting their confusion, despondency and bitterness. God, that was awful."

"Must have been. Amazing he was able to turn them around from that – and so fast."

"It was mostly Gigi," Dunc said as he approached. "She brought their spirit out from under the glum. Showed them the way forward."

"With your guidance, Dunc."

"A bit. Have you room for me in that hug?"

"Ummm." Tingling spread through my body as we adjusted, and we remained silent as I enjoyed our closeness – our togetherness.

Finally, Marcy said, "I need to finish drafting the job descriptions."

Dunc nodded. "And I have to check that everything's in place for the closing tomorrow."

"Closing," I asked.

"The purchase agreement – escrow transfers, land titles, registrations, and so on."

"Oh, dear!" I released the hug and stepped back. "I need to find a lawyer, don't I?"

"No, it's fine. I'm acting for both parties."

"Are you able to do that as a real estate broker? I needed a lawyer when I bought the condo."

Dunc shrugged. "I began as a lawyer. Did a masters in corporate law before doing my MBA."

"Oh!" I chuckled. "I wondered when you told them I've engaged you as legal counsel."

"I wondered, as well, Dunc," Marcy said. "We haven't budgeted for that."

"Add a peppercorn to the budget, then," He chuckled. "That'll cover my fees."

"A peppercorn?"

"It's a legal term dating to sixteenth-century England, meaning a tiny amount given to fulfil a contract. For it to be binding, something tangible needs to be given for the goods or services."

As we talked, we headed slowly toward the offices, then I said, "I really need to get out of this monkey suit and into something comfortable."

"We could all work from home," Marcy said. "There's no reason to remain here."

"True. Give me more time to work on the mac and cheese."

"Hunh?"

I giggled. "A hypothetical version I invented out of the blue during one of our early meetings. I promised Dunc to create it for him this evening."

"Ooh! I love mac and cheese. Invite me over, and we can both work while you play with it."

"I'm spending the night again at Dunc's." I winced at the thought of Garth. "The continued stalking and harassment have me spooked about my place."

"Oh, God! Garth still bothering you?"

I trembled. "Yeah, big time."

Marcy pulled me into a hug. "The police know this?"

"Yeah, everything. There's now an arrest warrant for him."

She rubbed the back of my head to calm me. "They'll get him, G."

I bobbed my head. Then over her shoulder, I watched Dunc's face contorting. Oh, God! His jealousy. I pursed my lips and smacked them in my first-ever attempt at an air kiss. He threw a loud one back at me, and I hummed.

"You could join us at my place, Marcy. Work there while Gigi creates dinner for us."

She nodded. "I'd love to, Dunc, but it now seems I'd be a third wheel."

"Three wheels are more stable than two." He chuckled. "Besides, with you there, I'll be less likely to ignore all the work I have and spend the whole evening pleasuring her on the bed."

Tingling again spread.

Marcy snorted a laugh. "Need a cure for this horrid guffaw. But, okay, I'll keep your mind on work – and mine, as well."

We gathered our computer bags and phones, locked up and headed along the street toward Cambie. After a stop at SaveOn to buy ingredients, we arrived in the lobby, and I winced as I looked at my mailbox. "Do I dare open it, Dunc?"

"Don't let him intimidate you, Gigi. It gives him power and lessens yours."

"True. I know the theory, but..." I paused and shrugged, then opened the box. "Fuck!"

I stepped back. "You get it, Dunc. I don't want to touch anything he's touched."

Dunc set the bag of groceries on the floor, pulled the contents from the box, handed me two postcards and unfolded the piece of paper. "Extortion, now. Another charge for the police to add." He turned it toward me to read: Think you're smart, do you? I still have the originals and all the rawreally raw. Interac $10K to girthxxl@gmail.com by noon Friday or I'll spam the web with them. You'll never find them all.

I winced as I read, then I laughed. "How utterly stupid. The police can track him through his Interac deposit. Get his address from the bank."

Dunc wrapped his arms around me and rubbed the back of my head. "Likely a stale address, as well. Like his driver's license."

"Ummm." I tilted my head toward the bag of groceries. "Let's take our stuff inside and head back down to the police."

"We can phone them to update – maybe send a photo of it. But wait until tomorrow to give it to them – the Courts won't need it as evidence for weeks. Let's not allow this to interrupt our evening."

"Yeah, okay. Just pack some stuff and head home. Do it from there."

Dunc tightened the hug and hummed a sigh. "I love your calling it home."

"Me too. It just popped out, and I'm still tingling from it."

"Speaking of home, I should go."

"Why, Marce?"

"You're finally in love, G, and with a man who's so obviously smitten. I don't want to interfere."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

What do you think of the three-way dynamics?

Do you sense that Marcy wants what is best for Gigi?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.