|| 22 ||

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

When you're little, nighttime is scary because there are monsters hiding right under the bed. When you get older, the monsters are different ... Self-doubt ... Loneliness ... Regret. And though you may be older and wiser, you still find yourself scared of the dark.

And somehow this kind of darkness was what leaded Natalie in a hospital bed.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Derek was looking at Natalie's exams. And Natalie was looking right at Derek. She was feeling a little too surprised. Definitely confused. She was not expecting this to happen. It was not what she was preparing for. 

Derek looked back at her again as she spoke. "What do you mean there's nothing wrong?"

Derek sighed. He had spent the last half hour telling Natalie that she was not sick. He was trying to make her understand that whatever she was expecting, it was not happening to her. She had just snapped. "Everything looks just fine Nat." He said for a third time. "I did a neurological exam, we ran a CT and a MRI. There is nothing wrong with your brain. With your symptoms it could be an epilepsy or a brain tumor, but there is nothing. Your brain is all pretty and healthy."

Natalie scoffed. "So I'm crazy. That's what this is ... craziness."

"You're not crazy." Derek moved next to her trying to play the role of her doctor and friend equally.

"Then what is this?" Natalie exclaimed, frustrated. "I have control of myself. I love control. This has never happened to me before."

Derek put his arms on her shoulder and looked her straight in the eye so he could make his point. "You went through something big, life changing. Your whole world crashed down. Have you ever thought about that?"

Natalie exhaled and paused for a second. She remembered all the times she said that she was handling everything. And she was a wreck, but she still handled everything. She never get herself time to handle her pain and stress. So it all came back to her. "You're not going to send me to the psychiatric floor, right?" She asked quietly.

"No, not yet." Derek chuckled.

"You're a good friend."

Derek smiled. "Just go, do something relaxing. Get a bubble bath. Light up candles. Meditate. Whatever it is that relaxes you."

Mark helps me relax, she thought for a brief second, but she hid that thought not just from Derek, but from herself.