Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Olivia Roune POV

                After my dinner has been served I shove the tray through the slot, shaking with nerves. The lights go out exactly one hour after all the plates have been collected. This routine has been repeated ever since my time began here, same time every day. I go to sit on my bed and wait for Nate to signal me. He wasn't very specific on when the tap on my door would arrive. I lay face down on the pillow and hear the soft sounds of Harmony's sweet music float through the walls of my cell. I realize that I haven't told her about the plan to escape since the night she told me about Calum.  Slowly I go into a misty sleep that seems to last forever.

                I almost miss the faint knock on my door that is supposed to let me know it's safe to go unlock Harmony and find Calum. Running to the door, I realize what I am wearing. The same gown I have been using since I arrived here in the third grade, a dingy blue dress that ties around the neck in the back. I swing open the door ready to find Nate just down the hall, but instead I almost stumble over the small pile of clothing on the floor. I lift the soft sleek items off the ground and run them through my fingers. The cloth is black, thin and from just one tug I can tell it is meant to bend with the body. Hurriedly I slip them on and arrange my hair into a knot behind my head, this takes a little longer because of my long brown and thick curly hair. Quickly I slide into the black combat boots laying next to my bed. Once I have finished this task, I grab the key from underneath the bed and stride out the door to Harmony's cell. I slide the key in and hear the lock click open sighing from relief I step in and notice that she is waiting for me and dressed almost identical to what I am wearing. Nate must have notified her about tonight because she was waiting for me when I opened the door.

Harmony pushes past me into the hall and grabs the key from my hand. She says, "Thanks, now let's go find my doctor."

Harmony and I have made our way to what looks like an apartment complex for the patients who have full time personal doctors. She leads me through hallway after hallway making confusing right and left turns until we arrive at a white door identical to the rest. I look at her and say, "Are you sure that this is Calum's door?" Harmony nods and knocks three times exactly. The door flies open and there he is the boy I have been hearing so much about.

Calum is a boy maybe two inches taller than Harmony and matches her caramel skin tone perfectly. His hair is restlessly tousled around his face with high cheekbones and bright glowing eyes. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought they were siblings. That thought is quickly diminished when they both begin to inhale each other, molding together to make one perfect shape. I turn my eyes away feeling like I may be interrupting on a private moment until Calum pulls away and extends a hand to me.

He says, "It's an honor to meet you, Nate talks about you lots."

I notice without trying that Calum has a slight British accent and spit on his lower lip from his reunion with Harmony. My manners finally meet up with me and I clasp his hand saying, "Same here. Now let's go before my doctor wonders what's keeping me."

Now that I have my lay of the land I can easily maneuver my way down the halls quickly and soundlessly. Finally we enter the main part of the complex and I remember where Nate instructed me to meet him. Guiding the two people behind me through the halls, I don't see a single doctor coming to try and stop us. Up ahead I see Nate and I just can't help myself from running straight to him. He gasps as I knock into him and jump on my  tip toes to give him a  chaste kiss on the lips.