Midnight Feathers

Notes - I'm curious to how many people are still reading this, as many have it in their library yet I'm receiving very few votes or comments. So pretty please let me know you have read this, even by merely voting and commenting with your favourite colour.  I would however luv feedback on this chapter. It's longer than usual but I hope you like it. If you read the preview then start reading after the ******

Much Luv Harriet xoxo

Lilith's POV

Midnight Feathers

The incline of the subway steps seemed never ending beneath my hurried footsteps as I struggled to keep up with Hayl's hasty pace. He had his hand loosely clasped around my wrist, forcing me forward quicker than my legs were really capable, but I ignored the weakness of my knees and the ache of my calve muscles because I was determined not to lag behind at a time like this. For this was most certainly not a time for slowness or weakness.

Luckily the steps did eventually come to an end and we stepped out into the dull morning, gratefully leaving behind the noisy bustle of the subway. Trying to steady my breathing, I cast my eyes briefly over the shadowed city whilst the city fumes filled my nostrils, making it even harder to keep my tears at bay.

I was trying so hard to stay focused, to be brave, and to not crumble under the extreme fear and confusion that consumed me. Many questions swamped my mind: how had the nuns alerted Ardiel and the others of my presence, who were they, why were they coming for me, what did they want? The lack of answers I had to such queries made me evermore apprehensive and intensely fearful of the unknown.

I searched Hayl's face silently begging for answers but as I read his change in expression I somehow knew I would find no reassurance from him now, for his eyebrows puckered inwards creating numerous more frown lines upon his already furrowed face before he spoke demandingly.

"Now listen up you two, the nun's alerted Ardiel and the others of our current location and they're coming, in fact they will be here any second; now if we want to escape, You young Lilith need to stay right here, whilst Sameal and I go... go...over there."

I felt my eyes involuntary widen and my bottom lip quiver slightly as the realisation sunk in that I would have to face Ardiel and the others alone. Too afraid to protest I gazed at both Hayl and Sameal in disbelief, noting their pained expressions as I blinked rapidly trying to prevent my tear ducts from leaking.

****************************************************************************

However Hayl didn't seem to spare me too much thought because he swiftly dragged his eyes away from mine, transferring his attention towards Sameal whose skin appeared to have lost all colour. A mere second passed before Hayl snatched hold of Sameal's broad shoulders and demanded harshly "You Sameal will follow me!"

Temporarily my fear was replaced with confusion as I watched Sameal robotically obey Hayl by stiffly stalking away from me without a second glance. I gawped at Sameals too rigid stance while they both abandoned me in the dank dirty street. I felt a tinge of rejection that Sameal had so easily left me, in fact I couldn't quite comprehend how either of them could have left me alone at such a time. I suddenly felt incredibly lonely and betrayed by them; but most of all I felt vulnerable and afraid.

Attempting to control my negative emotions I breathed deeply, nervously assessing my surroundings, instantly realising that Sameal and Hayl were no longer in sight; I wondered if they were merely hidden or if they had in fact truly abandoned me. I suddenly felt exposed and utterly unprepared for what was coming, for whom and what was coming for me.

I blinked rapidly trying to control my turmoil of emotions, finally evaluating the deserted scene before me. Realising that I was stood alone in a dank dirty street, just after dawn, peculiarly street lamps were still lit dimly, casting shadows across the grimy ground and an unseen clock ticked quietly in the distance making the atmosphere evermore eerie and threatening.