CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Game Over
chapter twenty seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THE ICE CREAM TRUCK STILL LOOKED TERRIBLE. She would never come out and say that to Kev's face, but she could surely think it. As they whipped into the park, Phoebe found herself grimacing at how dirty it looked. Regardless, though, this was where she was to spend her day. Once they had put it in park, Phoebe approached the vehicle with two bags in hand. "Good morning, boys," she greeted the two. One bag was dropped onto Kevin's lap and the other was thrusted toward Lip. "I made breakfast." The look on Kev's face was one of pure shock. "You made this?" he asked. "You had time to make this?" She nodded her head with a smile. Lip had already opened the bag and took out the wrapped egg biscuit. "Is there cheese?" he asked, narrowed eyes focusing on the girl.

"Of course. I'm not a barbarian." She moved through the truck to stand by Lip. She watched as the boys began to pull back the plastic wrap. Kev bit into his first, face contorting to one of pleasure as he let the runny yolk absorb into his tongue. A little bit of cheese stuck to the corner of his mouth, but it only made the reaction that much better. Lip was next, taking the biggest bite he could to devour the food. "Mm," he hummed, brows pinched as he focused on the flavor invading his senses. "You made this?" She felt her cheeks heat up underneath Kev's gaze. A broad, proud smile crossed her features. "Yeah," she laughed. "I told you, I'm being domesticated. Domestic people make breakfast." She sat atop one of the freezers and crossed her ankles in front of her. It was nice seeing such a pleasant reaction, especially from two people she valued.

"Wow, you're really doing that," Lip spoke up, seemingly amazed that she'd even think of settling down. "You've known this guy for, what? A few months?" The smile she once sported faded with his words. "So?" she pushed. Her brows furrowed. "He's a great guy. But, like, don't you think you're moving a little fast? You already live with him—" She scoffed in disbelief. "Yeah, and who's fault is that?" she retaliated. "You can't blame that on me. You're the one who got kicked out of your house." — "After you stole a car!" Lip shook his head. He turned to face the girl head on now. "No, that is not what happened. I borrowed it from Steve." She threw her hands up in mock realization. "Right, right! I totally forgot you were oblivious to his criminal occupation!" Lip wanted to argue, but she had gotten him. He groaned beneath his breath and turned back to the sandwich in his hand.

"Well, I think this tastes awesome," Kev spoke up from his spot behind the steering wheel. She grinned over at the man. "Thank you. At least someone knows how to appreciate a gift." She hopped off of the freezer and moved past Lip to take his previous spot in the passenger seat. "I can appreciate it. I never said I didn't appreciate it." Her eyes rolled at his argument. That's all they seemed to do now, is argue. "Customers," she called out, leaning back into her seat. "Yeah, yeah. I got it." He popped the remaining biscuit into his mouth and crumpled up the plastic wrap. People were already lining up outside the truck, wallets or cash in hand. It always amazed Phoebe how many people smoked or gambled, even if some were there for ice cream. "So.. You're really into this kid, huh?" Kev asked with a cheeky smile.

          "What's going on?" She turned to spot a kid at the window. "Yeah, I'd like to think so," she replied with a laugh. His eyebrows rose for a small moment before nodding his head. "Mind helpin' out, guys?" Kev finished off his breakfast and tossed the trash back into the bag. Phoebe hopped up first and made her way toward the window. "Hello~" The younger boy looked up at her with a sheepish smile. "What can I get ya?" She leaned against the counter with a grin. "A lemon-lime shot, chocolate chip cookie bar, and a Molson's." Kev scoffed from his place behind the wheel. "Molson's? We sell American beer here to children of age." Phoebe moved to grab the uce cream and passed it to the boy. "Come back for a Bud Light when you're sixteen."