𝐕.

CHAPTER 5

CHAPTER 5

The "Grand Plan"

     Sasha wasn't sure kidnapping a pregnant girl was a very good idea. Then again, nothing seemed like a good idea anymore.

Alys Van Eck was a pretty girl, but that was all Sasha would give her. She was absolutely dreadful, her wailing voice sure to announce their presence to any curious person even close to Black Veil or their tomb hideout. Sasha had never met an actual pregnant woman, and she sure hoped they all weren't as loud and moody as Alys.

After the whole debacle with Jesper's father, Sasha was really hoping to get some peace and quiet. Maybe get to know these people a little better. Rest before she got Brynn back. But it was true, what she'd said. They truly never did get a break.

Eventually, they'd all had enough and went outside to get away from the girl, hopefully to get a little quiet. Unfortunately, Sasha could still hear her from outside of the tomb.

"Are all pregnant women always like this?" Nina moaned, dragging a hand down her face.

"Only the kidnapped ones," said Matthias.

"I can't hear myself think," she said.

"Maybe if we took the blindfold off?" Wylan suggested. "We could wear our Komedie Brute masks."

Kaz shook his head. "We can't risk her leading Van Eck back here."

"She's going to make herself ill," said Matthias.

"We're in the middle of a job," Kaz said. "There's a lot that has to happen before the exchange tomorrow. Someone find a way to shut her up, or I will."

"She's a frightened girl—" Wylan protested.

"I didn't ask for a description."

Sasha stepped in. She'd never been particularly fearless, but she wasn't going to let some kid who didn't really deserve Brynn scare her. "Kaz, promise me you won't—"

"Before you finish that sentence, I want you to think about what a promise from me costs and what you're willing to pay for it."

"Fine, I didn't want promises from you anyway," Sasha shot back. "But Alys is just a girl, like me. And like Nina, Inej, Brynn. She wouldn't want—"

Before Sasha could finish, Kaz had shoved Sasha against the tomb wall with his forearm, the crow head of his cane wedged beneath her jaw. "Tell me my business again." Sasha glared at him, the same fire in her eyes as the fire that had always been in Brynn's. "Do it," said Kaz. "And I'll cut the tongue from your head and feed it to the first stray cat I find."

Sasha almost told him, "She doesn't deserve a demon like you," but instead, she kept her mouth shut. Kaz had the dangerous look in his eyes and Sasha preferred to keep her tongue attached to her mouth.

"Kaz—" Jesper said cautiously. Kaz ignored him.

Finally, Kaz released her. "Someone stick a cork in that girl before I get back," he said, and strode off into the graveyard.

Sasha leaned against the wall, accepting Jesper's hand to help her stand up straight and dust herself off. "Best not to mention your sister," he told her. "You know, if you feel like continuing to live."

Wylan shook his head. "But isn't this all about Brynn?"

"No, it's all about the grand plan, remember?" Nina said with a snort. "Getting Brynn away from Van Eck is just the first phase."

~~~

Later that day, Sasha ran a hand through her hair in frustration as she sat at the table, Kuwei and Wylan's notes sprawled out in front of her. Wylan sat on her left, Kuwei across from her.

She sighed, banging her head on the table. Jesper frowned and came over. "Why are you stressing yourself out over this?"

"Because if we don't get this right, I am almost completely sure Kaz will make right on his threats." Sasha groaned. "Besides, stressing out isn't even that bad. It's a completely normal thing that should happen to every person at least once a day."

Jesper blinked. "Are you sure? Because I don't think even Wylan Worry-wart stresses about something every day."

"I don't worry that much," argued Wylan.

"Sure you don't," Sasha and Jesper said in unison. Sasha laughed.

"How about I teach you to shoot instead?" suggested Jesper, setting his hands on his revolvers.

Sasha looked up at his tall, lanky figure standing above her. "Tempting, but I think I'll have to decline."

He rolled his eyes. "Come on. Focusing on one thing for so long can't be good, no matter how smart they are. Besides, you might need to know how to aim a pistol by tomorrow."

"You think it'll come to that?"

"With Van Eck, I know it'll come to something. But it's best to be safe."

Sasha scoffed. "When have you ever been safe? Jesper, you pray for a fight."

"You've only known me for a month and you know me so well," said Jesper.

"I guess I'm just good at that," murmured Sasha as she returned to her work. "Hey, Wylan, could you hand me a pen?"

The boy mumbled something under his breath and rolled a pen over to her. Sasha frowned and glanced at him. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," he grumbled. But Wylan wasn't a good actor, and even Sasha knew he was lying.

a/n— Kinda boring, but its like adding up to some very important stuff and adding resistance to Kaz and Sasha's relationship, so don't hate me