19: Four Leaf Clover

Gavin

Underwater. My body feels like it's underwater. I'm cold and drowsy. I could feel my shirt sticking to my body. Something is pulling me down, something is pulling me up, and I'm held in the middle by something else completely. Then I fall, my world shifting from water to land. I'm lying in a bed of grass, surrounded by a field of emerald green clovers.

Someone is approaching me, wearing the same clothes as mine. The more I focus, the more I realise it's me. Then my other me pulls out a lighter. His left hand snaps the clover leaf necklace from my neck and throws it away.

The lighter burns orange in my face, its small flame hovering dangerously close to my eyes. Then he throws it into the field, letting it catch fire.

"For one four leafed clover I'd burn a field of them." other me says, disappearing into the flames.

I woke up freezing.

My bedroom window was open, and Rivertown was serving one of her coldest nights. I grabbed a change of clothes and rushed to the bathroom.

I took a quick shower, changed into a hoodie and sweatpants, and sat by the window before after closing it.

It was spring, yet colder than a December night. I didn't like the cold, but I didn't mind the calmness of it all.

The dream came back to haunt me. I thought about it but couldn't figure out what meant what, and eventually it started to dissipate into figment of memory.

For one four leafed clover I'd burn a field of them. That sentence stuck with me. I grabbed my phone and lay down in bed. 4:48am.

I opened my texts and sent Zane one.

G: you up?

His response came back a few seconds later.

Z: no tf? Why would I be up at the break of dawn?

G: is this sarcasm or..

Z: for a smart person you really know how to act not like it

G: you're mean

Z: what do you want?

G: nothing, forget it

I felt a pang of anger and hurt. He was so mean over text, yet one look into his eyes and his whole demeanour and persona changed to someone I'd go distances with.

Z: I'm sorry

G: don't be

Z: I'm so sorry

I was starting to get worried.

G: what's wrong?

He never replied back.

I moved around the house in silence. I put on socks and my running shoes. I grabbed my stuff and snuck out of the house.

I jogged my way to Zane's house. It wasn't too far, and even though it was still dark, I could see enough to know where I was going.

When I reached his house, the lights were off, which was expected. I made my way to a familiar tree. A tree I had climbed once before.

Steadily and being as noiseless as possible, I made my way to his small bedroom balcony, high-school-musical style.

I looked through the glass door. He wasn't in his bed. I opened the door, it wasn't locked. I closed it behind me and sat at the edge of his bed, then realised he was gonna freak out and probably scream when he sees someone in his bedroom at the break of dawn.