Scars

I honestly don't know how I got here

I honestly don't know how I got here. The girl who has been my best friend for years -and dated my other best friend- died some months ago, three or something, not that I had the mindset to realize time passing by.

That was Nikki, she was the most wonderful friend I could've asked for and the best damn hacker in our line of work that I knew, she passed on offers from Google, Space X and Apple to save lives. She also held the heart of my oldest best friend, Mac, or Angus if you wanna piss him off a little...

Him and I met on a mission for the army. Now, I can't really tell you what the mission was or where it was, that's highly classified. What I can tell you is how we became friends very quickly and my friendship extended to his best friend, Jack.

Now, Jack and I have one little thing in common.

We exist so that Mac doesn't die.

Although, he does guard a deep regard for his aliveness whilst I cannot care less about mine. So we're still very different. Different sides of the same life endangering coin.

I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I've saved his lazy ass, and about Mac, well I definitely don't think anyone has enough fingers to count how many times I've saved him.

Although the amount of times I've saved his life doesn't seem to count for anything when he is pondering how to answer my texts lately, since it's been blunt, cold, 'I'm fine's throughout this last months.

And that made something I had never thought would happen to me in a lifetime, happen. I was thriving when Thornton called, yes Thornton, my standards on trying to talk to my friends are that low.

When she said our team was required on an important mission I almost jumped from the gym's mezzanine in excitement. Excitement which vanished the moment she asked if I had any successful contact with Mac this last months.

My negative answer seemed to shock her a little, but she was quick in hiding it. If I wasn't trained to read people I would have not even noticed the slight shock in her silent reaction over the call.

She shrugged off her question by telling me the time I had to be there and not to worry about dealing with Mac, saying she would have someone on it as soon as she could. And hanging up on my face when I offered to go get him.

Taking that as a no, I jumped off of the mezzanine and said goodbye to a few people, before heading out of the gym and going home to have a shower.

What I found getting there was far from peace. My grumpy old neighbor had called the building manager to talk about my late hours and punching sounds.

I tried to have a decent conversation about it or at least a reasonable one, but you can't reason with unreasonable jerks so guess what, I have two days to move out. Nice right?

I hopped under the cold water and washed my hair quickly, letting all of my worries go as I pressed my fingers against my ears and dived my head under the stream of cold water. Making myself able to hear only the loud sound of the water hitting my head and the muffed humming of my playlist.