V

If you are reading this book on novelhd or any mirror website, then you are reading a plagiarized version. Please contact me about it as soon as you can via email: anonymae123@gmail.com

"What are you talking about?" Father Joe spoke as calmly as possible, knowing that the best approach to douse the fiery temper of his beloved wife and obtain more information on the state of things was pure acquiescence and nothing more.

"Nothing. Nothing of importance. I'm so desperate, aren't I? I'm simply a hopeless woman who thinks of nothing but sex all day. Didn't you say so? You can leave. I..."

Father Joe pulled her close, cutting her short. Ignoring her muffled protests, he placed a kiss on her forehead. He made sure to hold her firmly, so she couldn't escape even if she wanted to. He had to find out what was going on, because Miranda didn't scare easily. Was there more to what the doctor told him?

It seemed so.

"Let go of me."

"Not unless you promise to stay still the moment I release you." Father Joe's eyes bored into Miranda, even as she stared back with defiance in her eyes. This would be harder than he thought.

"Let go of me, or I'll..."

"Uh uh uh. Who put an embargo on threats?"

"That didn't stop you in the hospital, did it?"

"No, it didn't. And I paid the price for it."

"Really?"

"Really."

A staring battle ensued between the couple, neither wanting to give in. It was a quirk they picked up along the years- they'd sometimes stare at each other and whoever looked away or blinked first would be the loser. Literally and figuratively.

Miranda blinked. First.
Father Joe blinked.
Miranda blinked. Again.

The duo burst into laughter.

She's so beautiful. We've been together for years and I still can't believe she's mine.

"What?"

"Huh?" Father Joe responded absentmindedly, lost in his thoughts. Without warning, his wife slipped out of his grasp and bent down. What is she up to this time?

The jingle of a set of keys brought him back to his senses. Without wasting time, he reached for her, and just before she could insert the key into its keyhole, they both fell to the ground, with him taking the brunt of the fall. The sound of impact was muffled, but the pain Father Joe felt at his waist made him almost regret his action. Almost, because he was sure that letting her leave at this point would be utterly unwise.

"Let me go, or I'll scream."

"It was your idea to soundproof the walls, you know. No one will hear you, even if you scream your guts out."
Father Joe felt smug. Thank GOD for soundproofed walls. Let me see how you get away now!

But his joy was short-lived.

"You seem to forget that it was my idea to soundproof only the walls of our bedroom and bathroom too."

Father Joe's face sank, as he remembered that they'd switched rooms with Tobe. He was thankful that the position they were in didn't allow her to see his disappointed expression. Bummer. I really have my work cut out for me, don't I?

"I'm sorry."

Father Joe knew he'd taken it too far- it was time for damage control. He embraced her before she could say anything else. This wasn't the time to be angry- it was time to make amends. He'd gotten his fair share of revenge and it was about time they put this behind them. We weren't married yesterday, after all.