14: mirabelle

I've spent a good portion of today stealing glances at Henry when I knew he wasn't looking at me. I've also felt my parents' eyes on me a good chunk of the day though, but they've never approached me.

Do I want them to?

Absolutely.

I miss them.

Professionally, it's great that they're here today. Their presence is great publicity for the charities and the animal shelter in addition to everything else the team is doing for the event. Personally though? I feel like crawling into a hole and never coming out.

JJ's already suggested to me that I go and talk to at least one of our parents.

I thought about it and then after Henry kissed me, I saw the look they gave him. They're not over it. They're punishing him for no fucking reason.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt to see them treat Henry this way.

I guess a part of me always thought they'd be happy to see us end up together. I imagined my mom saying that age is just a number. My dad saying welcome to the family for real.

But apparently that was just another fantasy I had to go with the fantasy of Henry liking me for real instead of a fake fucking relationship.

In reality, Dad threatened to hurt Henry and Mom accused him of the unthinkable.

They haven't even apologized to either of us for what they said so how can I be expected to go and talk to them?

I love them. I really do. They've given me every opportunity and all the love I could have asked for. We just don't agree on this.

I've spent a good chunk of the day when I'm not being interviewed by myself or being interviewed with Henry playing with puppies. I want to keep one because our family dog passed away two years ago and we have yet to get another one. Alas, we all travel too much for it at the current moment. So I'll have to find this little guy a home today.

We've actually had a large amount of dogs get adopted today. It's been incredible.

Emily sighs, attracting my attention away from the lab puppy I'm playing with. I look up at her, noting disproval in her eyes.

"What?"

"You know what."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, "I don't think I'd be asking if I knew what."

"You should go talk to them."

"Them implying the parents and their child over there who might want to adopt this sweet puppy?" I play innocent and motion to a family standing not too far away from me.

Emily shakes her head, "Well you might be right about that, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about your parents babe."

"What about them?" I ask, distracting myself with the yawning puppy in my lap. He looks so tired from all the excitement today.

"They've been staring at you most of the day."

I know. It's kind of hard to ignore them.

"I hadn't noticed." I say quietly, curling the puppy into my arms to take towards the family I'd been eyeing. "I'll be back."

I approach them and out of the corner of my eye I see flashes from cameras. "Hi, my names Mirabelle. Are you guys interested in adopting a dog today?"

The little boy smiles brightly up at me, one of his front teeth missing. "Yes!"

I look at the mom who nods and I crouch down to be the same height as him, "This little guy is looking for a home if you'd like to meet him."

He reaches out, but then hesitates. "Can I pet him?" He asks shyly and my heart melts.