Chapter 2

Hello all. I hope you like this newest chapter. It is a little short but I will have chapter three up shortly. Please let me know what you think with votes and comments.

Also this chapter is dedicated to bellenuit, thanks for the encouragement. By the way I will dedicate each chapter to a reader who has commented or if you are the artistic type I would love a banner or slide show.  Thank you for your love and support.

ink

Chapter 2

The tears came like a monsoon. And it seemed that the faster Margo drove the harder she cried.

Finally, as she stopped at a stop sign, the torrential tears dried up. Sadness weighed heavy on her heart and she needed to get her mind off of Clive and Hannah. Brushing her fingers across the worn dash she flicked the radio on.

“Come on Jed, don’t let me down,” she pleaded as she prayed for an upbeat song. As the speakers crackled and the station tuned in the soulful voice of Reba McEntire floated to her ears. But instead of a happy no brainer, the song that greeted her was “The Last One to Know.”

The flood gates burst open and more tears cascaded down her cheeks. Margo reluctantly sang along to the only song that could capture her feelings.

 Unable to see clearly her better judgment told her to pull over and have a good cry. Listening to her instincts she did just that. As the tears fell and sobs wracked her body songs of heartbreak filled the cab. After a good hour of therapeutic crying Margo’s throat was raw, her cheeks were chapped, and her eyes were red and puffy. But her heavy heart felt much lighter and her night suddenly didn’t seem so bad.

The negative thoughts and comparisons left Margo. As she pulled back out onto the road a new song came on. It was another Reba song but this one seemed like it was meant to be her new anthem.

Turning her speakers up as loud as she could she sang, “My world revolved around you. Every word was a promise I was hanging on. Swept up inside a whirlwind, I just couldn’t see the end till you were gone. I thought that I would fall apart. With shattered dreams and a broken heart. Scramblin in the dark. How was I to know that I’d be ok? Thought I’d lose it all when you walked away. How was I to know I would be this strong? I had what it takes all along. How was I to know?”

Something that lay dead inside Margo miraculously sprang back to life, HOPE. The warmth and joy only felt by those with a firm grip on hope filled her tattered soul and began to rebuild it.

Glancing at the clock Margo noted that she got her life back at 4:27 on a Tuesday morning. Closing her eyes Margo launched back into the chorus. “How was I to kn…” Without warning Jed lurched. Margo’s eyes flew open, searching for the cause of the disturbance.

What she saw in her rear view mirror made her stop breathing. Lying, unmoving in the center of the road was a large hairy beast. Thinking that she may have killed someone’s dog; Margo stomped on the brakes and jumped out of her vehicle. Grabbing her medical bag from the bed of the truck she cautiously approached the creature.

Many emotions warred within her as she realized that the animal she hit was not a dog but in fact a wolf. Fear was at the center of these feelings for the obvious reason that it was a very large grey brown and white wolf. Curiosity also had a place being as there had been no wolves seen in these parts for over one hundred years. And finally relief because as she approached the wolf she could see that it was still breathing.

Stopping in her tracks Margo silently reached into her bag for a muzzle and a sedative. Pulling the cap off of the prefilled syringe, carefully she approached the beast.

She was amazed at its sheer size. She had never seen a wolf in person before, though she had seen plenty of pictures. Pictures however did not do the magnificent creature justice. It easily weighed one hundred and sixty pounds and would tower over her small 5’ 2” frame if it stood on its hind legs.

Crouching down she was also astounded at how soft and silky his fur was. Under her touch the wolf began to stir. Without further delay Margo injected the sedative. The waking wolf fell right back to sleep. Margo gently lifted his head and slipped the muzzle into place. As soon as she was certain the wolf was contained and she wasn’t in any danger she ran back to Jed and carefully backed him up.

Once the passenger side door was even with the sleeping beast she hopped out and began the challenging endeavor of lifting the mammoth into the cab. Thirty minutes and four broken nails later the wolf was peacefully snoring in the passenger seat.

“What have I gotten myself into this time,” Margo muttered while climbing into the driver’s seat. “I don’t know anything about wolves.” Jed’s curious reply was Margo’s favorite song I Cross My Heart by George Strait.

Laughter, true laughter, the type that only comes from a joyous soul bounced around the cab. “Really Jed, you think this wolf is the love of my life?” Pausing to think for a moment she said, “Alright I give up.” She then placed her hand on the wolf’s soft head and sang, “I cross my heart and promise too. Give all I’ve got to give to make all your dreams come true. In all the world you’ll never find a love as true as mine.”

While Margo sang and gently stroked the wolf she dreamed of finding love again. She was so absorbed in her romantic thoughts that she never noticed that her patient had awoken and was slowly creeping towards her.