13. Jack's House

Gibbs came to stand next to Rose by the railing, where she had been gazing at the waves, thinking about nothing much

Gibbs came to stand next to Rose by the railing, where she had been gazing at the waves, thinking about nothing much. Sailing could be very relaxing, cathartic even.

"Have you decided whether to go with Jack yet?" asked the old sailor.

"No... How can I decide when I don't know what he's going to do? I don't like the secrecy."

"Jack is a man of many mysteries," said Gibbs dramatically. Lowering his voice, he continued: "I have a hunch of what it's about, though."

"Tell me."

"Well, you see, Jack leaves on this unknown errand twice a year. He never seems to look forward to it, and afterwards he drinks for days at an end."

"No news. Jack always drinks a lot."

"Not like this, nowhere near this. Anyway, adding up those clues, I'm thinking this biannual appointment is with...," he looked about him to make sure nobody was nearby, "...his mother. You have to admit it makes sense."

"That would depend on what his mother is like, but I suppose it does." Rose tried to imagine a female version of Jack Sparrow and failed. "Who is his father?"

"His father's a famous pirate and buccaneer. Edward Teague, or Blackbeard as some call him. I don't think the two are very close."

"Blackbeard... that actually sounds familiar. I think I read about him in my time."

"Don't tell that to Jack. He would hate it if his father's name made it into the history books but not his." Gibbs grinned.

"So, you think he wants me to meet his mother?" she asked after a while.

"Aye. Aye I do. And that's an honor indeed. As far as I know he never brought anyone else there. He likes you." Gibbs winked.

Rose could not hold back a pleased smile at that.

"I think I'll go with him," she decided.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Jack and Rose were dropped off on an empty looking strip of beach, surrounded by jungle. In ten days the Barnacle would pick them up again, and in the meantime the others would search for a suitable uninhabited island with a lagoon where they could safely summon the sea goddess.

It was with a great deal of nervousness Rose waved goodbye and saw the fishing boat sail away. What if Gibbs had been entirely wrong about the purpose of Jack's errand, and that this was just a way to take advantage of her? He wanted her in his bed, he had said as much, and though she had come to like him lately Rose did not want to sleep with him. She knew too little about him for that sort of thing, and she still did not trust him entirely.

"So, what's this mystery mission about?" she asked, pushing back her anxiety as she followed Jack along a barely visible path through the dense foliage.