seven

╮cake-eater╰

╮cake-eater╰

Aubrey crossed her left leg over her right, sat her elbow on her knee, and rested her chin on her hand. She stared at the locker room door with uneasiness pulling at the corners of her lips and began bouncing her leg impatiently. She flicked her eyes up at Fulton as he sat beside her to put his skates on. She forced the corners of her lips upward to smile at him before looking back at the door. She straightened her back, dropped her hands to her lap and looked down at them. She began picking at the cracked skin around her nails before looking back up at the door while still pulling at her nails.

"What's wrong? You look a little anxious," Fulton said as he sat up after tying his shoes. He reached over and gently pushed back the hair that had fallen near her eyes.

"What if Adam doesn't come and play?" she quietly asked as she slowly tore her eyes from the door to look at him and let her shoulders fold inward.

"If he doesn't, he won't play and we'll keep winning without him. If he does, we'll win by a lot easier than we did before," Fulton shrugged and smiled softly as he looked over to where Adams jersey hung on the lockers. "He's got a jersey, too."

"Maybe he will. I doubt he wants to skip the last half of the season," Aubrey said and looked at her hands. She sighed and stared down at her hands, dropping them onto her crossed and letting her hands dangle over the sides of them. "Want to do something after the game?"

"Like what?" Fulton inquired as he rested his hand on the inside of Aubrey's knee.

"I don't know. Maybe catch a movie, hang out at the mall," Aubrey listed as she tilted her head from one side to the other. "Or, we could spend the night at my apartment since mom's working tonight and Seth will be at John's again," she suggested and tilted her head down to look at him through her lashes.

"Whatever you want to do, Aubs," Fulton said and gently drummed his fingers against her leg as he smiled at her. She smiled as she wrapped her arm around his shoulders before turning to look back at the door. She placed her other hand against his forearm as she gently pressed her cheek against his. She sighed as the door remained closed and shifted her gaze to her knees.

Aubrey jerked her head up when the locker room door opened and watched Adam Banks slowly walk in. He stopped a few feet from the door and awkwardly looked around the locker room when he noticed everyone staring. She stood up when Fulton slowly did beside her and she slipped her hand into his with a small squeeze. She tried to smile at him and bit the inside of her bottom lip when the corners of his mouth flickered up. Bombay walked in soon after he did and Adam let his shoulders relax slightly.