Chapter 21: Oh Sh*t, Here We Go Again

Cole:

Arriving at the carnival, Cole felt out of place with all the happy people on rides and playing the games. Guilt ridden. The look in Molly's eyes when she said she can't forgive her was cold. He saw Matt flirting with girls that passed by, envious at how he could see the bright side of his situation. 'I can't just let her go.'

Matt suggested booth games, Cole gave the carnie money for darts. The boys won small toy prizes. Walking around to just people's gaze, Matt was speaking but Cole was tuning him out until a tap on his shoulder brought me to reality. A brown-haired blue-eyed beauty was staring at him. She waved hello shyly, walking towards them. "Hi. Me and my friend were wondering if you and your friend wanted to join us on the Ferris wheel." She pointed to the blonde girl standing behind her.

"Uh," Cole started to say. He wasn't interested.

"Ladies, we would love to join you guys on the Ferris wheel." Matt placed his arm around the blonde girl's shoulder, walking toward the ride. He told her how sparks fly when two strangers ride the Ferris wheel together. Cole shook his head at the bullsh*t Matt spoke. The brown haired girl linked her elbow to his and followed Matt and blondie.

"I'm Shannon," she introduced.

"Cole," he said.

"Cute name. Are you guys from around here?" She moved in closer with her hips.

"Visiting."

"That's cool. From school for spring break?"

"Mmmhmm," he hummed in response while staring straight ahead. He sighed with boredom as they approached the ride and stood in line. Matt flirted with Shannon's friend, brushing her hair away from her face, she hid her face. 'At least he's having fun.'

"Molly!" The name sprung him in action, he spun behind to the source.

'Molly's here?' He stretched his head like a giraffe to see if he could see her.

"You ok?" Shannon asked with concern.

"I'll be right back!" Cole shouted so Matt could hear, leaving the line. There were too many people in the way, he elbowed people gently so as not to be rude.

"I missed you so much!" Her angelic voice rang in his ears, he smiled a little when he finally saw her and Melanie. Looking beautiful as she talked animatedly to the person that she seemed so interested in the conversation. He inched closer to see who it was, his eyes widened in surprise. Tommy, one of her close friends from high school but Cole knew better. Tommy had a thing for her, Molly was naive to it because he was so friendly.

They've known each other since middle school, the same time that she knew Melanie. When they were together, he used to pop up out of nowhere on their dates. She would always tell him that he's just a friend but Cole knew what kind of game he was playing. He didn't have to admit it but he could see it, hugging her tightly around her waist, touching his arms too long whenever he told a joke.

Molly spotted Cole coming to them. "Damn it," she said, shaking her head.

"What?" Melanie wondered. Her eyes followed the direction where Molly was looking. "Oh sh*t, here we go again."

"Molly!" Cole jogged. Molly shook her head, stepping away from Melanie and Tommy. "Wait, please," Cole shouted as he tried to catch up to her.

"Leave me alone, Cole," Molly's voice cracked, she sniffed speeding off in the crowd.

"Please, let me-" Cole grabbed her elbow to halt her.

"What?! What?! It's over, don't let us cause a scene." Molly removed his grip from her arm.

"I won't, but let me just explain."

"Stop trying to. How did you find me?"

"Fate, I almost gave up but I know it in my heart. And here you are. here we are."

Molly narrowed her eyes at him. 'Fate, what the hell is he talking about?'

"You should have thought of that before you cheated on me," Molly spat, refusing to cry.

"OK, I deserve that."

"Molly, you ok?" Melanie asked as she and Tommy approached them, Melanie frowned, shaking her head.

"Let's talk. Fifteen minutes, then I'll leave you alone." Molly crossed her arms in disbelief. She couldn't believe him. As much as she wanted to punch him in the face again, and she really wanted to, something in the back of her mind was making her wonder what he wanted to say. Her face softened, shoulders sagged.

"Molly no," Melanie warned.

"It's ok, just hang out with Tommy. I'll be ok." Melanie reluctantly agreed, pulling Tommy by his arm, going another direction.

"Want to join me at the Ferris wheel?" Cole asked, in a humorous tone.

"Don't be cute," Molly shook her head.

"I won't try anything," Cole promised.

Her face blank, pursed her lips, "we'll just walk."

"Cool," Cole held his hands up in defeat, 'at least we get to talk.'