Paper Round

Running home from school, I ran to my front door, fiddled through my pocket trying to find my keys. As you can When I finally did find them, I dropped them on the floor.

I'm such a klutz.

Bending over, I fetched them up and sighed unlocking the door. I sprinted up the stairs, ran to my room, closed my door and grabbed some spare clothes. I pulled the white vest over my head then pulled my over shawl over it. I pulled on my other skinny jeans then grabbed my flats. I quickly pulled the brush through my knotted hair and pinned it back.

I checked my watch, I had ten minutes. Grunting, I ran back down the stairs, locked my door and pulled my bike from its chains. Quickly, I pushed the bike slightly and kicked the wheel into its place. I hopped on it and peddled down my drive.

I rode past some of the popular girls, who were totally horrible to me, and hid my face slightly. My efforts to stay hidden didn't work.

"Ooh look! Goody goody two shoes off to do her little job!" They cackled. I ignored them and kept peddling. They were royally horrible.

I pulled up at the News Agents and went inside.

"Hey, if it isn't ma girl!" The man behind the counter chuckled.

"Hey, Billy, I've come to get the newspapers you want me to deliver." I smiled, leaning on the counter like I always did.

"Here you go, sweetie. Be back later to bring the bag back and get your money, what're you saving for anyway?" He pulled the big red backpack filled with newspapers onto the counter.

"Saving for a house, or for a car, I haven't decided." I smiled, my cheeks burning with embarrassment. Most teenagers would probably save for some clothes, or a new phone, not me, I saved for the future.

"See? That's what I love about you, hon, you've already got your future planned. Now get going, those papers ain't gon' deliver themselves."

"Bye Billy." I laughed, throwing the backpack onto my back and walking out to my bike. I hopped on and started cycling, throwing newspapers onto porches and gardens until I came to mine. I delivered my own then went to the old ladies next door. There was a moving truck outside, so curiously I walked to her door.

I never, never ever, threw the paper at her house or posted it threw the letter box, I always walked to her door and knocked it. I didn't really like to startle her much.

I knocked it in my OCD rhythm.

Tap t-t-tap tap

Within moments someone opened the door. I looked up, but not at an old lady.

A boy, about 18, so 2 years older than me.

He smiled softly,"Can I help you?"

"Yeah this is for Mrs. Portman." I handed him the news paper just as the old lady came rushing to the door.

"Ahhh! Gay!" She cheered and rushed out, wrapping her arms around me.

I laughed lightly, hugging her back.

"Oh oh oh, come in deary I have something for you in he kitchen." she took my hand and led me through the house."Please mind the mess dear, my grandsons are moving in." she took me to the kitchen and reached up into her cupboard. She pulled down her hidden jewellery box and scurried through it.

By now two identical boys had walked in, both glancing at me confused. They both had bright blonde hair, but one had it spiked and the other had it around his ears. They were hot! Both of them wore jeans and plain v-neck t-shirts.

"Gay this is Lewis and Liam." she didn't look up from her box.

I held my hand out to shake,"Nice to meet you." I smiled.

One with a scar across his cheek shook my hand smiling,"I'm Lewis."

Then the other shook my hand, he had a pierced eyebrow,"I'm Liam."

"Now I know that your mom and dad can't afford everything for you, but I've had this for many many years, and I've known you since you couldn't walk. I think of you as my own child, so here. I want you to have this, I can't wear it anymore." she passed me a ring. It was a gold band, with a tiny tiny diamonds on it. My jaw hanged as I examined it.

It's so beautiful!

"I-I can't except this." I looked up at her.

"You must. No returns." she smiled, taking it from me and grabbing my hand, putting it on my middle finger. "A perfect fit, now don't loose it. You better get going with your paper round." she smiled and lead me back out of the house. I kissed her cheek, waved goodbye then peddled off.