FIFTY 🌸

THE SMELL of meatloaf and mashed potato snuck  through the air vents coming from the main dining hall

THE SMELL of meatloaf and mashed potato snuck through the air vents coming from the main dining hall. I had no idea what the vegetarian menu was but it wasn't like I would get to find out considering my team lost the gladiator duel.

"That fire is toasty." Cam said, rubbing his hands together for extra warmth. My eyes lingered on the flickering glow. It was magnetic and captivating. If I burnt myself, like fell into the fire and died that would get me out of going back home.

Jordan dropped himself down on one of the chairs and kicked off his trainers, my nose twitched at the cheesy stink of his feet and as if he could read my thoughts he smirked at me and wiggled his toes.

"Hey kid! C'mere!" He waved over one of the kids from our grade. His dad was an accountant, that's all I knew about him. "You've got five minutes to round up all the alcohol and contraband items you suckers have snuck in here and bring it to me before I ship you all in to principal-suck-a-dick."

"Woah, we haven't got anything, I swear!" The guy lamely defended.

"Nice try, off you fuck." He waved his hand to shoo him away. Zak chuckled in his seat and shook his head. Who knew Jordan would actually take his chaperone roll mildly seriously.

I drew pictures in the dirt with my converses, feeling awkward. Jordan probably hated me now.

"Gonna go pee." Cam interrupted, leaving us alone.

"I'm sorry." I blurted out, I combust. I couldn't take it anymore.

"What for?" Zak laughed, he must think I'm so weird. Maybe I was weird.

"The lake. Saying all that to Arlo." My eyes lingered on the semi-circle I had drawn in the dry mud.

"I told you from the start Fearne, you need to hold him accountable for his actions even if he doesn't remember them." He shrugged. "Looks to me like you just did that."

I looked over to the guys, they were kicking a soccer ball around. Tugging one another's T-shirt's to score a goal. Eventually Jamie, Liam and Arlo joined us around the campfire and suddenly I felt shy enough to avert my gaze and avoid eye contact.

"Okay this is all we have, I swear." The guy dropped a shit load of alcohol down on the floor next to Jordan, some condoms and a few baggies of weed.

Jordan's eyebrows raised and like kids jumping on a pile of candy all the chaperones shuffled forward in their seats and poked through the pile.

"We don't like this, you can have it back." Jordan handed some cheap beer back and the kid stared at him blankly. "Take the condoms, no one is getting pregnant on my watch. Weed, really? Drugs are bad. I'll be keeping this."