X

Phil's PoV

I sat with my head in my hands, salty water drops coating my palms and dripping in between my fingers. Dan had a girlfriend. Did he still love her? Probably. She disappeared randomly three years ago and now just randomly showed up when a bullet was shot into his arm.

Charity comes out ten minutes later. "Phil," she says softly, smiling. "He wants to see you." I stood up, walking towards the hospital room.

I walked in to find Dan eating a bowl of ice cream. He looked up and his brown eyes flashed with happiness. The brown, for a split second, reflected some blue and green, then returned to their chocolatey color.

He set the small tub of creamy sugar down to greet me. "Hey," he said.

"Hey," I replied. "How are you feeling?"

"Weird. My past came back to haunt me..." he said, looking a the wall. His brown eyes began to dampen. "I... I don't know what to do anymore, Phil!" he shouted, crying.

I winced. "D-Dan? What- what don't you know?" I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"What is love anyways?" he cried. "How do you know if you truly love someone?" What happens when..." he sighed. "I need girl advice from Jamie." My heart broke. He didn't want me to help.

I sighed. "I- I'll go get her..." I turned and began to leave, listening to Dan's heavy sobs. My heart slowly shattered, cracking bit my bit with every one of his chokes of sadness.

I reached the waiting area and looked at Jamie. "He wants to see you," I told her, sadness creeping up into my voice. She nodded, taking note of my state.

"Wait outside," she instructed. Then she looked at Charity. "You, too." The two of us stood outside the wooden door. We stared at each other, awkwardly. I don't think she knew how close to Dan I was. How much I liked him. She brushed her blonde hair behind her ears, her golden eyes glinting with something. Fear? Jealousy? I didn't know.

All of the sudden, Jamie came out. "He wants to see the both of you."

We stepped into the room to face Dan. He looked awful. He was tear stained and his breaths were raspy. We had never washed off our cat whiskers, but his were fading, leaving distinct marks where tears fell down his face.

"Look," he said. "Love is a confusing thing. Obviously, I love all of you as friends, but, I don't think I can do anything with relationships right now." He looked at Charity, who was tearing up.

"But Dan I-"

"Hey," he said. "I still love all of you, I just need some time."

"Okay," she said, wiping her eyes. I smiled as well. I had a chance. Did Dan do this because he was... choosing? No... he obviously still loved Charity. The way he stroked her hand with his thumb when they held hands, the way they looked at each other, the way my heart broke every time he said her name, because it always sounded so sweet and loving and never angry.

A doctor walked in. "Alrighty Dan, you should be set to go tomorrow." He noticed Charity's limp and her ankle conditions. "Sweet heart, do you want me to take a look at that?"

She nodded. "Can you also take a look at this?" She lifted up the side of her shirt, revealing a giant bruise and scar. I gasped.

"Charity..." Dan said.

"Charity," Jamie began.

I just shook my head and muttered to myself as Jamie and the doctor left.

"Charity."