(5) That Awkward Moment When You Know People Are Talking About You...

Chapter Five... That Awkward Moment When You Know People Are Talking About You...

James and I walked into the school on Wednesday morning, holding hands. Every now and then he would kiss my cheek, or my neck, and I would giggle at how much it tickled.

We turned a corner and Russell and a girl named Lacey from our year stood in what was clearly a private conversation. But when they spotted us, they instantly stopped talking. But that wasn't the part that unnerved me. They looked at me, like they had just been talking about me. What could they possibly have been talking about?

I shook it off and we kept walking. A group of sophomore girls were huddled in a group talking. One of the girls looked up, and then they all fell silent. They turned and watched us as we walked away from them, and James didn't seem to take any notice.

We reached my locker, and my friends Vicki and Ally stood nearby. They glanced annoyingly at the juniors that crowded the hallways, all talking excitedly.

"What the hell is up with people?!" I asked loudly, feeling insecure. A few girls glanced at me, then scurried away.

"Katie..." Ally sighed. "Why are people talking about you?"

"People are talking about me?" I questioned. "What... What are they saying?"

"We don't know," Vicki groaned. "These junior kids won't fricken tell us!"

"Why would people be talking about Katie?" James asked. "She's an awesome chick. Why would they do that?"

"Why are you sucking up to me?" I groaned.

"I have to go to class," James said quickly, letting my hand go. "I'll see you in second hour, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled, kissing him on the cheek. He walked away, and Vicki looked at me, like she wanted to say something...

"Okay, what are people saying about me?" I snapped, frowning angrily. "I really don't like it when people are saying stuff behind my back, and my two best friends won't even tell me what it is!"

"We don't know, Katie," Ally sighed. "I heard your name in a conversation... and something about a party? We were totally confused..."

"Since I haven't been to any parties," I frowned. "Do people have nothing better to do than make up crappy rumours about... crap?!"

"No, they don't, apparently," Ally said, glancing around.

"Immaturity lurks through these halls," Vicki said, glaring at the junior aged cheerleader that stood nearby. The girl scoffed before skipping off.

"Thank God them girls wear spankies," Ally smiled. "Or else I'd be seeing... a lot more of that girl than I'd want to."

"Okay," Vicki laughed. "We have History. Come on Al, let's go get our brains bored out by stuff that is of no importance to us whatsoever."

"Talk at lunch, Katie," Ally laughed as they walked off. I sighed as I grabbed my books and moved off to class.

>>>>

At lunch I entered the cafeteria with Vicki. Ally sat at our table, awaiting the arrival of... someone... But several tables must have been talking about me once again, because when they became evident that I had walked into the cafeteria, they fell silent, eyeing me cautiously.