Chapter 57

Chapter 57

●●●

Jungkook barely realized when Taehyung opened his mouth. Too quickly did the effect of his voice send Jungkook back into a memory, just like Taehyung had done before. It was a dizzying experience and yet, when Jungkook opened his eyes again and found himself at a place he didn't recognize but still seemed familiar he had almost forgotten that this was Taehyung's memory.

Instead of fighting it, trying to make himself aware of his own presence and the fact that he was not Taehyung, he just let it flood over him. Tried to relax and stop thinking. Just take it in. Because he wanted to understand. Wanted to understand the reason Taehyung felt the way about humans that he did.

Taehyung was not in the water like Jungkook had expected. No, instead he was stumbling through a garden, trying to make as little noise as he could. He was completely naked Jungkook quickly realized. Which was the exact reason he was in that garden in the first place. Clothes were fluttering in the wind, hung out to dry.

Jimin had told him this had been the place where he had gotten his clothes the first time he had stepped into that human town. Jungkook could feel Taehyung's disdain. He didn't understand what Jimin liked about them at all. They stank, were loud and thought they owned the world.

And yet here he was, picking clothes off a washing line to do what Jimin had begged of him. Give them a chance. Just one. He had been so certain that Taehyung was going to like them. So Taehyung was doing that. Even if he still felt wobbly on those human legs, he was going to see what Jimin was oh so excited about.

He hadn't told Jimin though. Of course he hadn't. He already knew that Jimin would try to show him only the things he liked and avoided the things that were not to like. And Taehyung wanted to see humans, not the idealized version Jimin had made up.

He struggled with putting on the pants and the shirt, but at least the cape was easy to put on... and it could hide it if he slipped up. Staying human was hard. He had no idea how Jimin could do it hours at a time without showing any signs of stress.

Once he had gotten entirely clothed, he moved down to the main part of the town. It was a small town, mainly consisting of fishermen and some inns. To be honest, Taehyung knew more about that village than he had ever been willing to learn.

But Jimin just loved gushing about it hours on hours. It didn't take him long to find the villages center. It was just a little off the shore, in the middle of some small houses. These looked different from the ones Taehyung had always seen by the beach. Jimin had shown him parts before in his memory, but it wasn't the same as seeing it himself.

People were moving about, there were some market stands trying to sell food, furs and some jewelry. Right, they didn't have access to all the things that were beneath the surface. They looked a little different from what Taehyung usually saw though, so he approached one of the men that was selling the jewelry, his cape pulled up to hide his face. Humans tended to stare at it. He wasn't as good at hiding the fact that he wasn't human as Jimin was.

"...like..." Taehyung glanced up at the man that was talking to him. He had picked up some human language from Jimin, but not enough to understand the man with how quickly he was speaking. So he just looked down again, scanning over the items with his eyes. They were a lot sparklier than the things he usually found beneath the surface. He wondered if those had once looked like this.

"Is there ... you like?" The seller spoke up again, this time slower for Taehyung to understand. Slowly Taehyung shook his head. He had taken some money from the pouch Jimin had hidden, but he had no intention of buying anything here. Even if that jewelry looked pretty, there was no reason for him to want some.