Chapter 1

Willow's Point of View

"So are you girls excited for the new year?" I asked Hay Bales and Rina excitedly. I usually wasn't this peppy but who wouldn't be? This is my last year until I finally get to go to Columbia! I mean, I haven't been accepted yet but it's a sure thing. I don't mean to brag but I do have a 4.2 GPA, I'm the captain of the chess team, president of the music club, on the girls' tennis team, and I've won many academic competitions. I've also had many other academic accomplishments that made me stand out.

"Hell yeah!" Hayley exclaimed and hopped in the back of the car.

"I'm warning you, I'm getting a bad vibe about today. We should just ditch." Catrina said and got in the passenger seat. I started to drive off to school.

"Chill out Rina, everything'll be fine." Hayley laughed. Catrina nodded warily, still trusting her instinct. Catrina was usually always right but this time we chose to ignore her this time. No way were we missing the first day of our senior year because something might happen.

Ahh ahh ahh ach ach achem

Hey baby won't you look my way I could be your new addiction

Hey baby what ya gotta say all this trash talk makes me itchin'

I'm a sorry sucker and it happens a-all the time

I find out everybody talks everybody talks everybody talks too much

The girls and I sing a long to Everybody Talks by the Neon Trees. Yeah, this is our song. You know, the song you just cannot listen to unless all your best friend are there. The song you even have a dance to. When the song ends we're at school and we all get out of the car.

"Hey Willow."

"What's up Willow?"

"Looking good Lo."

"You, me, tonight at seven?"

The last one was obviously towards Hayley. She'd always been the prettiest of the three of us. Still, being Queen had it's perks. Everyone of your area liked you. I know, I sounded like a conceded bitch but it happened to everyone every year on the first day of school. The boost of confidence that lasts until second period. I loved it. I didn't know what I was gonna do when I went to Columbia though. I'd definitely miss the title but I'd be happy for who it would go to. It would probably be a guy since the school's royalty switched gender every generation. Before us Hubert Jones was the Nerd, Geek, and Outcast King and Stacey Gonzalez was the Popular Queen. It was funny how even though the Queen and King usually hated each other, they usually ended up together. Hubert and Stacey were engaged at nineteen years old and still growing strong.

Everyone called it The Townsend Curse. The first King of the Nerds, Geeks, and Outcasts was Will Townsend and the first Queen of the Populars was Jennifer Anderson. They absolutely despised each other. Until Prom. When they were voted Queen and King and had their first dance, they fell in love instantly. The curse claimed that the Prom King and Queen, which are usually the school's royalty, will fall in love when they have their first dance as Prom royalty. School and Prom royalty were completely different, it just so happened that the Prom royalty was always the school's royalty. That was the problem with being our high school's royalty. Everyone thought the Queen and King would end up together. Unfortunately for me, my problem was that it was my great, great, great grandfather who I was named after that started the curse. So, naturally, everybody including my best friends thought Zayden and I were destined to be together because as fate would have it, Jennifer Anderson was his great, great, great grandmother's best friend. It was so fucking stupid.