Chapter Thiry-Seven: The Setup and Major Foreshadowing

Annabelle's POV

I think this might just be the most painful moment of my life. I was sitting at a very long table with some of the higher class feeders and a healthy amount of vampires. They all tried to talk to me with enthusiasm and joy at my sudden health. I tried to keep up, I really did but my eyes kept straying to David and I couldn't concentrate. My vision was still washed in red. I wanted to kill him and kiss him. It was all very confusing.

He was sitting with a lovesick smile on his face, watching me try and handle the crowd. Simone was sitting next to him, cutting up her steak to tiny pieces with an incredibly sharp knife. Why would anyone let her have that? Surely they all knew that she and David were crazy as hell. I shifted uncomfortably and Alex squeezed my knee reassuringly. He shot me a bewitching grin and kept up with the overwhelming mass with ease. How did he do it? Probably practice. He was an old fart, according to... well, everyone.

“You'll get used to it” he leaned down to whisper in my ear, creeping me out a little. Did he read my mind?

The vampires all gushed and went on and on about how much of a good couple we were. He only smiled and thanked them. I was more than annoyed now. I looked down at my own salad and felt bile burn my throat. Alex said I would be able to eat solid food soon but I don't think I was ready yet. I pushed it away and my eyes caught Adrian. He was sitting on the other side of me, talking animatedly to another male feeder. I couldn't catch a word they were saying over the chatter of over forty vampires but I didn't try all that hard either. I didn't know how it was possible but I had a killer headache. Shouldn't it have healed by now? I put a hand to it and Alex shot me a worried look. He opened his mouth to speak but he was cut off by someone trying to make a toast.

“Excuse me but me and David have news” Simone announced. She looked radiant and so damn beautiful it hurt my eyes. It only made my headache worst and I wished her a speedy delivery to the deepest circle of hell for making me feel so damn insecure.

“We're getting married!” she squealed. There was an absolutely intolerable babble from everyone as they passed on their congratulations and advice of how to last decades married. She took it with grace, so happy that it made me want to cry.

Why did I suddenly hurt all over and want to rip her limb to limb? Why did I have the overwhelming urge to snap at her and yell at the top of my lings that David was mine? I tried very hard to stay in my seat and listen to all the good wishes but it proved to be impossible. I wanted to snatch David from her filthy arms and put him right where he belonged. By my side and in my arms.

He killed Selena. He is insane. He wants to kidnap you again and do God-Knows-What with you. I reminded myself of this over and over because somehow I wanted nothing more than to be with him. To feel his comforting presence at my side. And it was the single most aggravating experience I've ever had to go through. I didn't want to want him. I didn't want to envision ripping Simone's filthy whore arms off him over and over again. I didn't want to want anything to do with him other than to rip his head off like a cap on a glass bottle. Yet I felt it anyway. What was wrong with me?

I'm pissed off. He's ours and Simone has no right to him. Her announcement has angered us to our vampiric core. My vampire spoke up, seeming to pace around in my head.

Well make it stop. I don't want anything to do with him. I said firmly, trying to keep my hands on my lap and not around Simone's neck. He kept his eyes on me, as did Simone. She shot me a gloating smile and almost stuck out her tongue at me. I could tell. Suddenly, the will to stay in my chair and not kill her was much weaker.

“I think I'm going to our room” I told Alex smoothly, getting up from my chair. He turned to me with a frown, his first since this dinner has begun. He had been as happy as could be at the marriage announcement and was grinning ear to ear.