The Day the Music Died

The audience was simply breath taking. The thought that they were all here for one thing. Me. I was about to start the song that I'd been working on for the whole school year. I was about to sing my heart out to these people. I was about to play the piano and sing. Me. I was about to do these things.

"Now, give it up for TYLER BRANDON!" I heard the applause as my name was screamed. It made me smile.

I was waiting for the lights to dim as I set up by my piano.

The lights dimmed. It was my time to shine.

"All around me are familiar faces, worn out places, worn out faces. Bright and early for the daily races, going nowhere going nowhere." I smiled as the piano notes spilled out and my voice was at its best.

As soon as I was about to start the next verse, a light bulb burst. I jumped up afraid. Everyone was scrambling to get out. I was getting off the stage when another post fell, only this time it started a fire.

I was freaking out. My parents were there waiting for me, I turned to go the other way when the fire was also, going another way. I was trapped. I was going to die.

"Tyler!" I heard my dad calling tears in his eyes; I knew this would be it.

Nothing could have prepared me for what happened next.

*******************************************************************************

Beep... beep... beep... beep... beep...

What was that noise?

Beep... beep... beep... beep... beep... beep...

What was that damned awful noise?

"Turn it off." I moaned, it was hurting my head. It was painful and it was annoying.

"Tyler!?" I heard my friend Ashton calling my name. I am right the hell here boy.

"Shut it off Ash, I don't want to hear this." He chuckled and I sat up to slap him to see that I wasn't able to move. I then opened my eyes.

"Ash, what the hell is going on?" Suddenly the image of my father jumping through the fire to save me caught my attention in the back of my mind. I gasped.

"Ash, where the hell is he?" He looked at the floor. No this wasn't good.

"ASH! ANSWER ME!"

"ASH!"

I began flailing my arms out screaming for my father, where was he? Why wouldn't they tell me? Was he sick? Was he hurt? Was he... no. He couldn't be.

"DAD! PLEASE! HELP ME! WHERE ARE YOU!?"

I felt people grabbing at my arms, begging me to calm down.

"I Will calm down when you tell me where the hell my father is!" I was freaking out, and then suddenly I was feeling tired. Very tired.

"Ash whereismyfath-" I was out.

I woke up to hear voices outside my room. I was smarter this time though; I pretended to sleep so I could listen in.

Then was when I heard it.

"We have to tell her that her father is dead. We can't just not tell her."

The rest of that year went by quickly. I wasn't an active member of society. I wasn't in the music program. I would never play again. Never.

Ash moved away. I was more broken. His dad got some big promotion in New York. I guess I am happy for him, but I barely made it through alive when he told me.

He promised he'd keep in touch. I guess we have, but it's not the same. I wouldn't blame him for never wanting to talk to me again. I've been dead for the past two years.

"TYLER! COME DOWN STAIRS PLEASE!" I sighed. What did she want?

I put out my joint, shut the window, and sprayed myself with Glade Air freshener.

"I'm coming!" I slowly trudged down the stairs, not really wanting to talk to her, much less anyone.

Mom was able to get over the whole dad thing in about a years' time. I feel like no one really gets me.

"Ty Hun. This is Dave."

"It's TyLER and who the hell is Dave?"

"Tyler, Dave is my boyfriend."

I looked at her wide eyed.

"Boyfriend, as in. Dating. As in... together...?"

"Yes honey, as in Dating. As in Together. We're going to move in together!" She said excitedly. I looked at her with a bored expression, and walked away, I couldn't deal with this anymore. I couldn't.

I walked out the door, and down the street. I kept walking I kept walking, I kept on walking until I found myself at an unknown place. It was gorgeous. It had a lake and a meadow; it was so simple yet elegant. I sat down by the water. I was speechless. I climbed up in a tree and sat there looking up in the night's sky. It was getting dark, yet I felt more at home in this tree than my actual home had for a few years.

The view was amazing, but I felt like it was my own little world out here.

I heard the chirping of birds in the surrounding tree's and the water moving with whatever creatures lived in it.

I heard the whooshing of the wind rustling the leaves of the trees and bushes.

This place was me.