006.

AFTER WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LONG DAY, HATTIE WAS FINALLY HOME NOW

AFTER WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LONG DAY, HATTIE WAS FINALLY HOME NOW. She was laying down on her couch, the show 'Gilmore Girls' echoing in the background while memorizing her lines.

"How was rehearsal today honey?" Michelle, Hattie's mother asked her, putting down her coffee cup.

"Bad. Ricky got on my nerves." She complained, placing her script down beside her and sat up for her mom to sit down on the couch which she did.

"Why? What happened?" Michelle asked, rubbing her daughter's back.

"He messed everything up today. He made a joke out of it, I think, and then Nini stood up for me. Which was much appreciated, but.. I don't like being the plot of a fight." Hattie put her head on her mom's lap as her mom started to play with her hair.

"That's the point of life sweetie. Is this is his first time being in a musical?" Michelle queried.

"Yeah. He didn't even like musicals until this year, which is weird to me. Like why now, would he decide to jeopardize everything?" She whined, "Like look!" She pointed to the TV which was displaying Jess and Rory rekindling after a few years after their last visit, him confessing 'I love you' out of the blue. "That reminds me of Ricky! He jeopardizes everything, Rory was doing great and then bam! He ruins everything with that one statement."

"Is Ricky kind of cute though? I don't remember." Michelle asked, quirking an eyebrow. Hattie immediately leapt up from her mom's lap, "Mom, that's so not the point here!"

"Answer my question. Is he cute?" Michelle reasked.

"I don't know, I'm aggravated with him right now to even know. He was Nini's ex remember?" Hattie answered, "But he does have a mop of curly hair. Like Jess!"

"I do.. I remember you saying you like Jess. He's your celebrity crush." Michelle laughed. "So you have a thing for curly haired guys. You're definitely my daughter."

"Mom, stop. I don't like Ricky." Hattie spoke honestly.

"Not right now." Michelle teased getting up from the couch earning a groan from Hattie. "Now come on Gabriella, practice your lines for lover boy."

"I don't-" Before she could finish her sentence, her mom was out of the room. "You wouldn't make me confused Jess." Hattie whispered before going back to memorize her lines again.

IT WAS THE NEXT DAY NOW AND BOTH NINI & HATTIE WERE IN THE LIBRARY. Both girls were looking for books but the search came to a stop, hearing Ricky and Carlos' familiar voices all too well. Making their way to the end of the row the two girls peaked their heads out of the row, seeing Ricky.. with knowing the choreo for the musical. He looked as if he knew what he was doing now and that made Hattie smile. In that moment, she felt butterflies in her stomach knowing Ricky Bowen would do anything for something he cares about.

"Ricky.. that's it!" Carlos smiled.

Peaking their heads back in the row.. both girls contain their matching smiles. "He practiced. He practiced!"

"For you." Nini finished, her smile enlarging by the minute.

"No. For the show." She grinned as both girls wrapped an arm around each other and walked out of the library, forgetting all about the books they needed.

"There's yo man, Neens! Go talk to him." Hattie whispered, unwrapping her arm from Nini. Instead of going towards him, she just grabbed Hattie's hand and walked off in the opposite direction. The two girls walked into the auditorium and heard a beautiful melody being played. Trying to figure out what it was, both girls walked in the direction of it. Behind the curtain, there was Ashlyn, playing piano.

"Oh hi!"

"Hi!"

"Hi!"

"Uh.. we didn't know anyone was going to be in here." Nini said.

"I can be gone in like seven seconds, six if I don't zip my backpack." Ashlyn tells, starting to pack everything up.

"Oh no no! Don't go. What was that?" Nini asked.

"What was what?" Ashlyn questioned.

"What was the song you were just playing? It sounded beautiful." Hattie queried.

"Oh that! It's um.. Miss Jenn asked me to compose a song for my character. That's probably way too much but.. I'm playing Ms. Darbus." Ashlyn tells.

"I know who you're playing Ashlyn. I sat near you near the read-through while Hattie sat across from you at the read through." Nini informed. "Besides.. you're EJ's cousin!"

"We don't have to talk about EJ, I don't, I don't wanna talk about him. Do either of you want to talk about EJ?" Ashlyn deflected.

"I mean.. I do, um.. but just not right now." Nini said.

"No thanks, EJ's not really my cup of tea." Hattie answered quietly.

Nini's phone pinged, signaling she got a text message causing both girls to look over at her. "Jeez, this has to stop.."

"It doesn't matter who texted you, it's no one's business.." Ashlyn muttered.

"No, um.. it's one of my mom's has been sending me these fortune cookie messages everyday, to keep me 'balanced' true test of character is what you do when no one's looking."

"Why would someone send that?" Ashlyn asked.

"She seriously needs to stop." Nini said while shutting off her phone and putting it in her backpack. "It's like the fifteenth one today. Why don't you play us more of your song?" Nini said, sitting down next to Ashlyn while Hattie rested her arm on the piano, glancing down toward the two girls. On cue, Ashlyn resumed to play her song again and it was music to Hattie's ears once again.

"Seems like a part of me will always have to lose. Every single time I have to choose.. swore that it felt right but was I wrong? Is this where I'm supposed to be at all? I don't have the answer not today. It's like nothing makes the questions go away. Would I give to see? If the grass was greener.. on the other side of all I've had and lost. Would it be enough? Or would I still be wondering? If I could go back and change the past.. be a little braver than I hide and been against the odds? Would I still be lost? Even if I woke up in my dreams.. would there still be I'm missing? Would it mean anything..?" Ashlyn nodded toward the two girls joining into the beautiful song, them harmonizing. "Maybe I should turn around and take the other road, or maybe I'm just looking forward to what I already know..

I'm just wondering." Nini sang softly. "It looks as if I might have broke the best thing I might've ever had. I said too much to ever take it back.. I'm scared I'll never find something as good. Would I even know it if I could.."

"If I could go back and change the past.. be a little braver than I had.. bet against the odds.. would I still be be lost?" Ashlyn and Hattie chimed in, "Even if I woke up in my dreams, would this still be something I'm missing? If I had everything? Would it mean anything?"

"To me?" Nini sang the last vocals softly.

"We're back." Ricky said softly, causing all three girls to look at the curly haired boy with utter softness written on their features.

"What?" Nini asked quietly.

"Downstairs. Miss Jenn wants to see everyone in the bomb shelter." Ricky notified.