Moonlight

Moonlight

*Was supposed to be a story for school but it turned out to be too good an idea for that*

I could see my breath, little white clouds in the cool autumn night. Cold sweat ran down my back and I stopped to catch my breath. I was being chased. By what, I wasn't sure. All I knew was that it was big... and faster than me. But not smarter, thank god it wasn't smarter. I had been able to hide behind a bush every once in a while but it had always caught my scent and turned back. This, me running and it chasing wasn't really working out for me. I had to find a way to get it to stop chasing me. It was my fault anyway, a case of being an overprotective sister. That was how I had gotten into this mess.

Flashback...7 nights ago; Halloween

It was brisk outside so the bonfire was perfect. About twenty people were gathered around it wrapped in blankets and sipping hot drinks.

"Please tell me there is a very good reason we're at a freshman party, and while you're at it, please tell me it's not to stalk Josh?" My friend Maria asked.

"You know why we're here; to keep Josh out of trouble."

"He can do that himself. He probably will hate you tomorrow if you make a big deal about being a big bad junior and his sister."

"I know he will but this is for his own good. You know how seniors love to crash freshman parties and totally trash them."

"I know it's hard to forget. Remember when some senior chick dumped a bunch of Kool-Aid all over my head. But Josh isn't me, and he isn't you. He can take care of himself." I frowned, I knew she was right but it didn't mean I had to listen. I was staying. Whether she left  or not.

"You can leave if you want, I'm staying." And I turned away from her and walked towards the fire; making sure to stay out of Josh's line of sight. Like Maria said, he would think we were stalking him. Of course, if he spotted me sneaking around he would still think that. He knew how overprotective I was.

As I got closer I saw Josh head off into the woods with three of his guy friends. I wondered what they planned to do in the woods. I had a pretty good idea soon when I saw Josh pick up a small flask. They were drinking! He knew how I felt about the subject and he promised he would never drink. Especially in high school when a bunch of his 'friends' were urging him to do just that.

I was just about to follow them and chew them out when Arnold stepped in front of me. Oh, no. Arnold had had a crush on me since fifth grade and whenever he saw me he would keep me talking on boring, meaningless conversations forever.  As if that was the way to win me over. Tonight I really didn't have the patience for it.

"I learned something new today in my preternatural class I'm taking at the track", Arnold said.

 The track was a small building that had once been a runner's track but the previous year it had been replaced with a large recreational building. For the next three months it would be hiring a preternatural expert and the class cost $100. Of course I wasn't taking the class; it was a waste of time. Everyone knew that all the things they talked about in that class were all a myth. I mean seriously; werewolves, vampires, and dragons? 

"Have you ever heard of skin walkers Sophia? They're supposed to be like werewolves; except they're brujo's or witches who take the skin of any animal. Usually a wolf or a coyote; and use magic to bind it to them and they become that animal. Cool huh. I would be a little scared though."

I rolled my eyes. He was so annoying but I was usually nice about brushing him off. Not tonight though; tonight I had more important things to do than be gentle with his feelings.

"Look, Arnold, I got to go. You can tell me later when I care more than I do now." With that I pushed past him and stalked off into the woods after Josh.

I crept up behind the guys; all of them were facing away from me but Jim, the new kid. The rest of the guys had been born here and he was a novelty. Jim wasn't much taller than me. He had black hair all the way down to his shoulders and a straight regal nose with high cheekbones. His skin was the color of caramel. I could certainly see why the freshman girls fell all over themselves when he was around. But the thought was wiped away when he took another small flask from his jacket pocket and handed it to josh, who was sitting on his right. After doing that he turned back to the others as if nothing had just passed between the two.

Jim was waving his hands around excitedly and all the other guys were laughing boisterously. As Jim laughed he threw back his head and his eyes opened wide flashing a bright crimson. I leapt backwards, startled. The sudden movement caused the bushes to rustle and all the guys turned toward the bush I was hiding behind.

I saw Jim lean over towards Josh and nod his head in the direction of the bush. Josh got up and stomped toward the bushes. When he reached them he swept the branches aside and saw me, my arms wrapped around my knees, holding my breath. Of course that was no use any longer so I exhaled; and looked up at him. He looked very angry, angrier than he ever got. I could almost feel his hostility and anger radiating off of him.

Just as he was about to reach down and pull me up a white owl swooped down in front of us and I gasped. Josh, though, ignored it and grabbed me roughly by the arm. Even though I was his big sister he was taller than me and stronger.

"What are you doing here? I thought you and Maria were going out to watch a movie."

"We did, and it ended earlier than we thought it was so we came here to check up on you, this is your first party." Josh looked behind us and saw everyone watching us eagerly, ready for an argument. Instead Josh dragged me farther away from the group and turned so his back was facing them.

"What were you thinking, following, me I told you I would be fine tonight. It's not like this party's a rager."

I glared at him, "Well it probably would have been if all of you guys got falling down drunk. You know how mom, dad, and I feel about that."

"Yeah, I do but it's really none of your business. It's mine. I do what the hell I want when I want." This wasn't like him; he was usually very gentle and calm and rarely got mad.

"Josh, are you ok; how much did you drink; you're not yourself. Maybe I should get you home."

Josh snarled at me and said, "I'll get myself home I certainly don't need your help finding my way."

With that he let go of me and marched back to a smug looking Jim.

I don't know what it was about that kid, but he bothered me, something was off about him. And I would find out, soon.