THESE FIVE WORDS I SWEAR TO YOU

When I woke up, it was 7:30am. No doubt Tyler was already on his way over. For some unknown reason, I threw myself out of bed and started getting ready. Normally I would whine and groan while slowly putting on my clothes, taking my dear sweet time. Apparently not today. I threw on my clothes at the speed of light and put my hair in a messy bun. Today was another I-don't-give-a-crap day. I had those every...yep, I was right. It's an everyday thing.

After I brushed my teeth and packed my backpack, I raced out of my room and out the door. Tyler was just pulling up to the house when I burst out. I paused for a second to catch my breath.

"Morning sleepyhead," He said with a grin. My heart did a somersault when he lifted his hand and squeezed my cheek.

What the actual heck?!

I smiled and shook my head, staring at the road in front of us. We drove in silence the whole way. It wasn't an awkward silence. It was peaceful.

Then it dawned on me.

"Shoots and ladders," I gasped, slapping my hand over my mouth in horror.

Tyler looked at me with an equally as alarmed look, "What happened?"

"I forgot my History homework at home!"

"We can go back and get it," Tyler said. He moved his hand to flick on his turn signal, but I stopped him by shouting, "No!"

He looked over at me and I said awkwardly, "It's not that important. I'll just turn it in tomorrow."

The thing was, the assignment was important. So important that it would cost 70% of my grade. Mr. Rogers was not a great teacher, if I do say so myself. I can speak on behalf of everyone who has him, he is not the "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" Mr. Rogers that is a kind-hearted man. Oh no. No, no, no. This Mr. Rogers is evil. Rotten to the core. Worms wouldn't even eat the disgusting apple that is Mr. Rogers. He is the devil in disguise. No wait, he's worse than the devil. The devil hides from him.

But, seeing my dad again was worse than failing Mr. Rogers' class. He would probably see me pull up in a boy's truck and get upset.

We pulled into the school's parking lot. Tyler killed the engine and leaned back into his seat, letting out a sigh. I stared at my feet, stress kicking up my heart rate. It felt like I was just stabbed in the chest. My mind was racing. Dad was home. I was failing. My life just can't seem to get it's affairs in order.

I could feel Tyler's gaze on me, but I didn't want to look at him. If I saw his eyes, I would start crying. One thing I liked about Tyler was that he didn't pry. Mckenzie and Heaven are super terrible at that. They do the same thing my mother does and guilt trips me into telling them the stuff on my mind. But I refuse to open up about a few things. Some things are meant to be kept away from people.

"Your dad's home, isn't he?" Tyler asked, shifting his gaze from me to the windshield.

A tear escaped, slipping painfully down my cheek, "How'd you know?"

"You looked terrified when I suggested we go back for your homework, and Cody might have said something to make me think your dad was home."

I simply said, "Oh." What else is there to say? Every time I talked or even thought about my dad, a lump formed in my throat and I could barely speak.

"Did Cody tell you about his dad?" Tyler asked, turning his body to face me. I nodded.

"So he told you he was there when it happened?"