chapter 14 - hate

Aruna brewed a special type of hate for the King and Queen of Ravka, many thought that it was impossible for sweet Aruna to hold any hate in her heart

However Aruna was a product of hate and greed, she was hated and abused, and saw what hate was capable of doing to a person's heart. She saw her mothers necklace, the eye of a lover, a past love held over her heart.

Aruna always guessed that the man's eye must be her fathers, she couldn't stomach the idea that any other man could love the monster that was her mother. She assumed that her mother was not always a monster, perhaps a girl with a broken heart and an unwanted baby, a baby that was a constant reminder of the cracks in her heart.

So Aruna couldn't hate the man that was her father, whether he left his pregnant girlfriend or wife, or was a drunken night of bliss, she couldn't hate him.

Her mother however was a different story, the scars and deformed bones were a constant reminder of what her mother had done to her. Maybe her mother was suffering from a broken heart but she destroyed Aruna's before she even knew what love was.

And the King and Queen were no better, exploiting the poor soldiers and workers while living in wealth. Did the Queen really need so many hats that Genya had told her about?

Going into battle fields and war camps seeing bone thin soldiers with no hope while the King stays in his palace of luxury and not doing anything to stop the war?

To say Aruna hated the King for what he did to Genya was an understatement.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ✷ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Alina was walking to greet the King, wearing a veil and walking with Genya and Aruna, the moon summoner. She was shocked when the famous moon summoner was in her room talking about her favourite art with Alina to help calm her down.

Everyone knew about the famous moon summoner, guys and girls talked about her beauty from when she visited camps, and their description did not do her justice, she was absolutely beautiful, both her and Genya, Alina felt like an ugly duckling walking with two of the best looking girls she had ever seen.

Soldiers would always pray that the famous moon summoner would come to their camp, just to see a glimpse of her beauty or kindness. Alina had never been among her admirers, too wrapped up with Mal, but now she couldn't wait to confirm all the rumours about her beauty and kindness to Mal.

The one rumour she had yet to confirm was her alleged involvement with the Darkling. The tough and stomach general and this kind bubble of artistic beauty, together?

After the tense horse ride and attack, spending the afternoon with the man was enough for Alina to decide that the commoners were impossible.

They were both beautiful enough to be a couple, one of those stunningly beautiful couples that you see and pray that they have kids just to bless the next generation with their beauty.

However good looking they would be together, they just didn't seem to fit personality wise. The Darkling was this stoic general and Aruna was well Aruna, kind, selfless. The rumours of the General going all soft and 'lovey dovey' for Aruna seemed impossible to the man she interacted with yesterday.

Yet any sane person would be stupid not to go soft for Aruna, she truly was everyone's little moon, and Alina was not stupid.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ✷ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

The Darkling was done with the King and everyone else in the Grand Palace, he just wanted his little moon and to enjoy one of their reading sessions in the library, where he would lay in Arunas lap and listen to her voice read him a book and he would threaten anyone to not interrupt them. But Aruna did not need to know about the threat or she might not sleep in his chambers with him.

And he couldn't sleep without the faint glow that Aruna gave off in the dark, not anymore, his room did not need to be dark anymore.

However pleasing the King was as simple as pleasing a child. "And you just made that child very happy"

Alina was looking like a scared kid herself, yet Aruna was doing her best to take her away from the grisha crowding her and calming her down.

Even after all her insecurities she did not hold any resentment towards Alina.

He truly did love his little moon, he would be stupid not to. And he was not stupid.

Or was he?