-Chapter 1-

EVE

Ive always dreamed about being a butterfly. Such simple creatures, small and delicate. Oblivious to the cruel world that surrounds them. Even the monsters that crawled below couldn't harm them, for their wings could fly them to the angelic realms, a realm where worries simply didn't exist.

Its times like these where I'm reminded how pathetic I am for dreaming such things

The burning sensation that radiates through my entire cheek is amplified when he crashes his hand down once more. I don't know what I did this time for him to be this angry but then again, I  never really know. 

"What did I say about not fucking listening, girl" He spits as his free hand takes a hand full of the hairs from the back of my head.

I hear a piercing scream echo through our old hallway, the hallway my mother used to chase me in. Once filled with hidden laughter and games, now a forgotten memory. 

"Im sorry, Im sorry I didn't mean to" 

I hadn't said a word since he had returned home. I knew better than to do so anyways. Looking out the rusted window I had a clear view of the small playground directly outside of my home along with the boy that never really left it. Thats untrue of course, he was never there late at night or early in the mornings but throughout the afternoon he always stayed seated on the farthest swing with a stoic expression. He looked lost in his own head, always thinking and thinking maybe just as much as I was about him. Sometimes he would show up angry. Eyebrows furrowed and mouth pressed into a firm line. I wonder if the park was his escape, his own realm that protected him from the monsters too. I don't know how long I had been starting out nor how long he had been talking to me but the shattering sound of glass brings me back from my escape. Mother would be disappointed, she had always warned me how even the realms above couldn't protect us from everything, how it could lead me into troubles she didn't want me to be in. 

"Its important to stay grounded even if it pains us Evie" She says softly as she smiles down at me combing my hair, her smile is sad though, not as reassuring as it usually is. As if it pains her to hear this too. 

"To never drift for too long, because one way or another we will have to come back down eventually. This is the only way, the fall won't hurt so bad"

I guess I never really learn, he ensures I pay for my forgetfulness.

Im suddenly nauseas by how fast my head gets slammed into the wall behind me, an excruciating pain engulfing my skull. Mother used to let me draw on these walls, she said she loved the dreams I told her, how she too wished she could take us to a land where we could dance and sing until the birds began to as well. Where we could be free.

She paid for that too

His hoarse voice breaks me from my trance, "Your full of shit" I open my eyes, squinting to see his leg coil back before another scream leaves my lips when his heavy leather boot is forced against my ribcage. 

"What did I tell you about lying" He yells, forcing another kick to my stomach. My back hunches from the blow, my body curling in a fetal position. The hands that hold my throbbing head start to slip as a wet substance coats my fingers, my eyes starting to drift shut as the pain becomes too much. I can feel my mind begin to slip, the bright butterflies clouding my vision just like they do every time I pay for my sins, welcoming me home. I always wondered if she'll be with them when i'm granted my wish. Singing with the birds, waiting for me with open arms. I can imagine her soft bronze hair braided down her back. Soft green eyes wrinkling as she smiled down at me, whispering sweet nothings in my ear so I could fall asleep to later wake and tell her about the world that's waiting for us on the other side. 

I don't know how long I've stayed curled up on the floor or when he left. But the warm liquid that travels down my cheek reminds me I'm not that lucky.

Never lucky enough for the butterflies to stay, but to always return

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------