Firework Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The music was cranked up, sounds of people laughing and talking, the waves hitting the beach, it was of course a summer party. My already drunk friends danced in the waves as the sun was getting closer to the horizon. Firework by Katy Perry sounded through the air, and everyone was dancing to it, too.

"Baby you're a firework!" my friend Jessie screamed, her dark, black hair bouncing up and down as she jumped in the ocean water with her new boyfriend, Aaron. Slightly, I giggled to myself, I was sitting, enjoying the view of the sun go down as everyone was pretty much intoxicated. My friend, Carrisa, ran over to me.

"Hey girrrllll wwwhat's up?" she slurred, "are you eattting thattt?" She pointed dizzily at my untouched hamburger, I was vegetarian, so I wasn't going to eat it, but she's too drunk to notice anyhow. I shook my head and she headed off with the plate towards her new boyfriend, Sean. Are you beginning to see a pattern? Probably, all my friends have boyfriends, except me. Of course, I have a crush, it's just that he has a girlfriend.

Speaking of the devil, there she is. Madison Henley. Her blonde, curly hair shown perfectly in the sunlight as she bit into her apple. Of course, since she is a cheerleader, she has to be a health freak. My crush, Chance, ran up to her in his coca-cola, red t-shirt and faded jeans. His bare feet hit the sand as he ran. She tossed the rest of the apple onto the sand as he kissed her, probably completely forgeting about her hunger.

When they pulled away my heart sank, they smiled at each other so happily, but of course Madison would soon leave him lonely for some other rich, popular, hot, football star. Chance had tanned skin, light brown, short hair, and very fit. He was Gorgeous with a capital G. His good grades showed how smart he was, and he even was sweet, but couldn't give up the courage to talk to him.

I stood up, disguisted, and walked away from the disturbing scene. My heart felt hurt and so I decided since it was about dark I should be getting home anyway. Leaping onto the seat of my old bike got at an old woman's yard sale for about ten dollars. It had colorful balloons strapped to the back of it, and a cute license plate decoration that said 'Coral'. My name is Coral, my mom and dad both agreed on that because they met in a shop called, "Coral Pier".

Suddenly Firework by Katy Perry started running through my head. I hummed and sang a few lyrics out loud on the side of the road, heading to my house. My journy continued like that for quite a while, until I got to my house. By the time I put the key in the door it was already dark. My key entered the keyhole, and I opened the door.

"Honey, you're home!" my mom greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. I wiped off the flour she tracked on my cheek and washed my hands. My mother works for a bakery, and loves to bake so I was guessing she was going ahead and completing orders.

"Mom, next time, clean your hands." I laughed and dried off my hands.

"Well, excuse me for making my daughter a certain cake for a certain day!" she exclaimed and I glanced at the island which was currently her working station. I noticed the lemons, and suddenly I squeezed her in a hug.

"Mom!" I screamed, " I love lemon cake, but why did you make this?" I asked confused at her respectfulness. Out of everything she has done for me, you'd think I should be baking a cake for her. Suddenly it sank in, today is the day I graduated from highschool. "Oh. Well, thanks mom seriously I love this, but you didn't have to go through all the tro-" she cut me off.

"No buts." she said sternly, "Anyway, I think you really deserve it. All year you worked your A double S off to get straight A's. I'm so proud of you." She started tearing up but she wiped her tears quickly away on her floral sleeve. Then she started back onto the cake.

"Thanks mom." I said grinning and I wrapped my arms around her neck, she hugged me back and then I suddenly said, "Ok, so where's dad?" Just then a loud snore came from the living room, I looked inside it and there was dad laying back in his beloved rocking chair, sleeping and snoring his head off. "Well, then." I said giggling. "Need any help?"

"No! You go relax, you've studied nonstop for the past year." she ordered, "Go." I smiled and so did she but then refocused her gazed back on the cake batter. I went up to my room and sat on my bed, happily. Soon after that, my phone buzzed from a text message. It read: "I'll be home in an hour. Tell mom and dad i'll be late, but I was not at that party."

Oh brothers. How delightful they are. That was my older brother, Brent. He was nineteen and not in college and still living with his family. He's a player, that's why he isn't married. I even think he has had at least nine different girlfriends last month. I texted back: "Fine whatever, go by the store and get me a Twix Bar and Red Bull, kay?"

A few seconds later he replied: "C'mon! Okay, okay fine will, whatever. But you owe me!" I laughed and knew he wouldn't get repaid and went downstairs.

"Mom, Brent texted me saying he would be home in an hour, there is a lot of traffic on the highway." I said, of course I didn't want to lie to my parents, but I didn't want to lie to Brent nor let him down.

"Oh, ok. Well, did you have anything for supper? It's just 7:15." she said. I shook my head no and went upstairs, humming Firework once again. Obviously this song is stuck in my head.