34

After what felt like hours, the carriage finally came to a stop. At some point Anya had fallen asleep again but this time on Kaz's shoulder. Anya jolted awake when the carriage stopped. She looked up to see Kaz had slowly started to wake up too. He looked down, feeling Anya's gaze in him. She quickly scrambled off of his shoulder when he caught her gaze.

"Sorry. I guess I was more tired than I thought."

"That's alright." Kaz assures, a small smile twitching onto his face. Kaz opened the door of the carriage stepping out. Anya followed shortly behind. Kaz held a hand out for her to take, which she graciously excepted. Anya didn't expect to see two sets of eyes latched onto her as soon as she stepped out.

"Uh...hi" Anya greets awkwardly. Inej stares at Anya in awe, while Jesper stood there with an amused smirked.

"Inej, Jesper." Kaz addresses. "This is Anya." Anya gave them a gentle wave trying to cut the tension. Inej quickly strode up to Anya wrapping her into a hug. Anya stumbled back losing her footing.

"Sorry about her." Jesper laughs "she really loves Saints."

"It's okay." Anya chuckles as Inej lets go of her. Anya hears a loud thud from behind the carriage. She walks over to inspect seeing the lock on the luggage box lying in the ground. The lid pops open and Alina gets out.

"Alina?!" Anya gasps. Alina smiles quickly hopping out of the box and hugging Anya.

"I was so worried." Alina says holding onto Anya tightly. Alina opened her eyes seeing the Crows standing behind Anya. She slowly lets go of Anya not once breaking her gaze from the trio. Anya notices her gaze.

"It's okay. They helped me escape."

"More like she helped us." Inej chuckles causing Anya to smile. Kaz quickly changes the subject.

"We don't want any trouble." Anya furrow her eyebrows at Kaz's sudden mood change.

"Neither do I, so we'll just be on our way." Alina grabs Anya's wrist slowly backing away.

"Clearly, you want out of East Ravka. But we can help you." Kaz says his gaze not once leaving Anya.

"We have a secure route through the Fold."

"The only person I prefer to travel with is Anya." Anya nods in agreement causing a sad look to pass over Kaz's face.

"Don't be rash." Jesper says. "You stick with us and everyone gets what they wants." Anya slowly began to piece together their true intentions. It was no surprise someone wanted Anya and Alina. A look of betrayal washes over Anya's face and she slowly stared to back away.

"I'm not being anyone's captive ever again." Anya grits through her teeth.

"So step aside and let us pass."

"I'm afraid we can't let that happen." Kaz says. They all stood there in silence until the Crows started inching towards the girls. Alina extends her hand out creating a burst of light. She blinds the Crows and the girls start to make a break for it. Inej quickly composes herself watching the girls in awe. Alina and Anya quickly run away and into the busy streets.