Ten: October

A/N: Tell me if it hurts

Harry found himself sitting in one of the white chairs on the side of the platform, tense and out of breath from having just performed a few seconds ago.

The white radiance from the stage lamps blinded him. He was pretty certain cameras were all over his facial expression right now.

Harry was the first of all the contestants to get to take a seat in one of the chairs. Louis had praised his performance with ease and offered him the chair without a hint of hesitation.

But Harry wasn't relaxed or even a little satisfied yet, because the judges usually tended to fill the chairs up first. And it didn't matter if you were good or bad. And when the chairs were all nice and filled up, that was when they began to replace, nitpicking all the flawed ones out.

In a way, Harry would've preferred not being the first one to present. Now he was just watching the others, anxiety crippling inside him as Louis gave contestant after contestant words of approval and praise, and then giving them a chair.

Harry's theory was correct. Louis had only eliminated one contestant by the time that all the white chairs that lined up to Harry's chair were taken.

He was sweating, holding his breath all the way through the seventh act. He knew it was horrible to wish this - Ronja was his friend - but he secretly hoped she would fail this. He scolded himself for being so selfish when he felt the corner of his lip turn up right when Ronja's voice cracked mid-song. He forced himself to keep a straight face. He really wouldn't wanna be known as the guy who gloated over his co-contestants' misery. And he liked Ronja.

When she finished, she looked like she was going to cry, and Harry was suddenly filled with self loath. How could he be happy about this when he knew exactly what it was like being up there on the stage, awkwardly existing after fucking up a song. He'd experienced it first-hand.

The first one to speak from the judge panel was Cheryl. "Are you okay, honey?"

"I've been better," Ronja laughed mirthlessly.

"Okay. I just wanna say I think you're brave. Being able to continue with your performance after having your voice betray you like that as if nothing had occurred takes guts. Not everyone can do that, it's star behaviour. Kudos."

"Aw. Thanks, Cheryl."

"No, I gotta agree with you on that one, Cheryl. That was quite an impressive save," said Zayn, propping his chin up on the pen he held between his fingers. "Simon?"

"You didn't sing that song well, Ronja," Simon said. "You were unsure, your singing was visibly affected by emotion and your throat sounds a bit scratchy. Do you have a cold?"

Louis exhaled, looking uncomfortable when he said: "Can i be honest with you, Ronja?"

"'Course, Louis." Despite the darkness, you could see it in her eyes - that glint - she knew she was doomed.

"I'm frustrated because I adore you. But I'm not gonna sit here and lie to your face. To me, this is your worst act so far. Your most recent performance was lacky, but I let you slip through to Five Chair because I wanted to give you another shot. But I'm, yet again, left disappointed, Ronja. This was mediocre. You haven't impressed me since your audition. And that's why I'm gonna have to eliminate you."

"I understand," Ronja nodded. Harry didn't know how she still somehow managed to look confident. Knowing himself, he probably would've been wailing like a newborn by now.

"So sorry, love," Louis said with warm eyes.

"It's okay." She turned to look into the cameras, plastering a smile onto her face, "thanks for having me," she said and walked off the platform. Everybody was cheering for her. Her friends had tears in their eyes. Harry clapped, relieved, but sorrowful. That was when he realized she was leaving. Going home. She was going to pack her bags and a bus was going to pick her up tonight. She was not going to be sleep with him and Stuart in the cottage anymore, and Harry was most likely never going to see her again. He made a mental note to give her a proper hug goodbye later.