Chapter 24 - The Battered Dove

Flashback to 6 years ago...

"Little Princess.." Tenma brought your attention away from your Nintendo, and you lifted the little (F/c) machine away up to reveal the cheeky grin of the fierce 'Little Giant' lying with his head in your lap. His black hair was slicked back from the light layer of sweat after only just coming off his 3rd game of the day.

Whistles and the reoccurring thumps of the volleyballs landing inside and beyond the court lines echoed throughout the competition gymnasium you were sitting in. 

"Haiii (Yes) Tenma-kun?" You said with a pout, using a sarcastically cheerful tone with your eyes closed as you refused to look down to the snickering ace in your lap.

He bit his bottom lip, reaching up to grab the loose portion of your (H/c) hair that had poked over your shoulder and gently pulling on it until you lowered your head just a little. As you looked to his hand to see what he was doing he craned up his neck to kiss your forehead just above your left eyebrow. "Don't tell me you're still mad at me?"

As he leaned away your face was flushed a bright red and your cheeks were tight and pulled back in frustration as you tried to repress your blush and refuse to smack the ace in his pretty face.

Dropping his grip on the bottom of your hair he grabbed your hand over his head and could feel your fingers curled into a fist that he then tried to wiggle into to hold your hand and sooth the rage he'd just boiled up in you.

"Princess I promise you we'll go to the zoo next Sunday! It was last minute ok! She said she was free for me to take her out on a date what was I supposed to do?!" Tenma awkwardly laced his fingers into your smaller ones in a childish attempt to get your forgiveness. "I promise.."

You exhaled sadly and turned your eyes to look down the court at the current game that was on between two of the attending prefectures. "I never thought you'd cancel our plans to hang out with some other girl.. I thought I was your favourite girl".

The 15-year-old looked up at you; his neighbour and the girl he'd been babysitting and looking after for the past 3 years on and off, and couldn't help but kick his legs in glee. "Gah! Of course my little princess you are my favourite girl on this entire planet!" He reached up and pulled himself up, squashing you into his embrace with his head over your shoulder. 

At 11-years-old, and very aware of your crush on your babysitter, your whole face turned red once more and you dropped your Nintendo as tears welled up in your cheeks, "Don't cancel me again for some stuck up girl cheerleader!"

"I promise! Never again!"

You cringed a little at the memory, gosh I was so in love and over the top, I keep forgetting he had to deal with me that whole time.. You smiled a little, chewing the strawberry slice from the top of your takeaway berry smoothie that Kiyoko had brought back for you.

In the end Tenma never even dated a girl for more than a couple weeks across his whole high school career, you just never accepted anyone he introduced, they weren't good enough for him.

You rubbed your nose into your other shoulder, "Those girls must've really hated me..."

"Who hates you, Baka-chan?" 

Your eyes darted up to the libero sitting in front from you who'd been meticulously re-wrapping the bandage on your arm for the past 10 minutes, while Kageyama had fallen asleep in a chair beside the futon they'd set up for you, in the room next to the boy's training dorm so you'd be close by.