Nine: October

Harry sighed at the platform the judges had just finished setting up. Five chairs. Five white chairs. The thought of sitting in one of them scared him. The possibility of not sitting in one of them scared him even more.

He had picked out a song, practiced it all week. My Funny Valentine by Chet Baker. It was a quiet, but very complex song. It was hard to do it justice. You either nailed that song or you failed completely.

"Nervous about tomorrow?" A voice said, startling Harry.

"Stuart, you scared me!"

"Sorry."

"Not nervous. Petrified," Harry said to answer his question. He had rehearsed the song more times than he could count in the last couple days, receiving coaching from both Louis and Simon. "It's gonna be weird not to perform it with you and Ronja."

"Word," Stuart said. "But it'll be okay. You've done it before."

"I guess."

Stuart patted him on the back and walked away. Harry took a liking to him. Stuart was a guy of few words, but deep. A sudden sadness washed over Harry. Something was missing, and that something was his best friend. No matter how many people he sought replacement in, it still wasn't the same. There wasn't anything he wanted more right now than to come home to Niall. Or to at least call him to hear his voice. Come to think of it, he also urged to call his mum and Gemma. Camping in the woods was getting old.

He trudged along the campground, looking down, pondering. Then he bumped into a hard surface, which turned out to be Louis' chest. He stumbled back, but Louis caught his arms before he could fall.

"Watch where you're going, Styles," Louis joked in a "Bad-Boy-Of-The-Highschool" type of voice.

"Sorry."

Louis frowned. "A penny for your thoughts. Something wrong?"

"No, I'm great," Harry said halfheartedly and finally looked up.

"Oh, c'mon. That's not very convincing, is it?" Louis said, trying to cheer him up.

A smile crept onto Harry's face, but it faded as quick as it appeared. "I'm just sad."

Louis' expression turned more serious. "Do you wanna tell me why or was that it for today's news of What's Going On Inside Harry Styles' Head?"

Harry couldn't help but laugh at that. He wished Louis would stop making jokes. "You're cheerful today."

Louis shrugged. "My friend, Zayn is coming to visit us today. He's gonna be a guest judge for tomorrow night."

Harry gaped, "Zayn? As in Zayn Malik?"

Louis walked them over to the platform so they could sit down. "Yep."

"As in Zayn Malik - famous R&B singer?"

"You're right."

"As in-"

"Yes, Harry," Louis smiled, amused.

"Oh, my God! When is he coming?"

"Soon. This afternoon."

"Oh, my God!"

"I didn't know you were a Zayn fan?" Louis questioned.

"Well, I wouldn't say "fan", just, you know... you know." Harry flailed his arms around.

Louis bit back a laugh. "You love him."

"I really don't."

"I should be offended. How come you weren't this excited when you met me? I'm pretty cool too, you know," Louis said. Harry blushed.