𝐵𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑡

The walk back was nice and there was a short moment of bonding. I wondered if he'd invalidate everything I said earlier because of it. We walked through the gates and my father locked it behind us. My eyebrows crinkled at the sight of the yard that was packed with boxes and the moving truck.

"Mom works really fast." I nodded impressed.

He agreed with a chuckle. "She had help."

I looked at him. "You helped her?"

"Of course not," he admitted and I shook my head.

Why did I expect differently? He never helped her with anything.

"Amanda and Noah are inside," he added.

"Really?" I inhaled excitedly then turned to run in but he stopped me.

"Eden." He sighed. "I really am sorry."

Just like all his apologies, this one sounded sincere. I believed he was actually sorry.

He cleared his throat, "I was just so upset," he said and I shook my head.

I almost fell for it.

"I'm going inside," I said.

"No." He urged, stepping in front of me.

"I know that's no excuse, I shouldn't have dealt with it as I did," he continued.

"It'll be better in Vancouver. I'm going to be better. Your mom and I love you so much and we just want the best for you. Okay?" He looked at me searching for any response.

I didn't know what to say, because I would have rathered if he didn't apologize. In a weird way, it added to the ruin of my day.

"All I want is for you to say you'll do better and actually do better," I said after a while.

"And I will. I promise," he said and I forced a smile.

"I love you," he added and kissed my forehead.

He stepped out of my way and I ran up to the house to shake off this feeling of discomfort, confusion and false hope. Another part of me felt content.

"Amanda!" I yelled in the house which responded with my echo because of how empty it was now.

"Eden?" She said looking around the corner to see.

"Amanda," I grinned when she finally saw me and began to walk towards me.

"Aw look how beautiful you are." She smiled.

"I know!" I blushed and outreached my arms to hug her.

"Hi dear, it's been so long," she said as we pulled apart.

"Yeah, and now I'm leaving." I sighed.

"You've gotten so big," she cheesed, looking me up and down.

I couldn't stop smiling but I felt like crying again. I hadn't seen her in almost three years. I felt nothing but relief having her here, but now when I finally got to see her again I was leaving.

"I'm going to miss you." I frowned.

"No crying or I will too," she said as she held my cheeks.

"Ok," my voice broke and I pulled her in for another hug. She was my best friend and the caretaker of my family, everything was easier when she was around.

I had never wanted to admit this but she was the mother I wished my own mother was. She supported me in everything I did, whenever I needed her she was there.

When she told us she was pregnant I wished I could live with her and be a part of her family. Around her, I didn't have to walk around on eggshells.

If I could pinpoint the instance when my family went from bad to worse, it was when she left.