Sixty-One: In Between

As everyone else left, Max slowly pulled his hand out of Tul's tight grip. Tul was still looking at him, but Max was looking at the doctor as the man looked through his chart. So, he didn't see the look of resentment that Tul gave him before he stood up to stand next to the wall nearest the bathroom.

The doctor hesitated a bit, glancing at Tul before speaking, and Max just nodded at him to go on.

"All your tests have come back fine," he went on, ignoring the other person in the room. If the patient was okay with it, he wasn't going to object.

"No broken bones, but your ribs are bruised, which is why you might have some pain breathing. You will have that knot on your head for a while, but the MRI came back normal, and your physical responses were extraordinary for someone who lost consciousness. However, I would like to keep you overnight for observation. A nurse will wake you every 2-3 hours to check on your responses, and I will re-evaluate in the morning."

"Couldn't I do that myself, doctor? I have experience. I know the signs of concussion. The team just won something, and they're celebrating tonight, and I . . . "

"MAX!" The one word sounded like it was shot out of cannon. The doctor jumped, but Max just looked warily over at Tul who looked like he wanted to kill him.

He continued meekly, speaking to the doctor, "That is fine doctor. I will stay overnight here until tomorrow. Thank you."

The doctor closed his clipboard and, trying not to smile, nodded to both Max and Tul and left the room.

Tul did not say a word after the doctor left. Once Max had capitulated to the doctor, he had turned his back to Max again. He didn't turn around again afraid that he would do physical harm to the man in the bed.

Max was going to be the death of him wasn't he? Max was going to give him a heart attack, and he'd die before they had ever even had sex or moved in together or had matching pajamas. He was going to die before they had even had their first vacation together or first argument about what fixtures to choose for their new bathroom. Max was going to kill him before he ever got to see what their kids looked like.

Oh no, Tul thought to himself. I'll kill him myself first. And then Tul smiled at himself. Bathroom fixtures? What had Max done to him? He tried not to laugh outright. Max wasn't going to get off that easily.

Max watched Tul's back. He waited because Tul looked tense. He felt badly because this should be a good moment for Tul; he'd won over Sinjai and Sean completely. The team had the best day of its existence. They should be celebrating, but instead, they were all here at the hospital with him. Tul must be feeling resentful right about now. He noticed Tul's shoulders relax a bit and then begin to shake. Oh no, was he crying?

Max went to get up, but his head hurt, and he winced. He must have made a sound because Tul turned around.

"What the hell do you think you're doing? Why are you moving? I'm right here. What do you need?" Tul said all of this at once as he rushed over to the bed.

"Nothing," Max said searching his face. "I thought . . . I thought you were upset. I wanted to come to you and . . ."

"Stop it, Max. Just stop it." Tul said in a tired voice.

"What?" Max asked, confused.

"You are in the hospital. You are in the hospital because of us, the Pakorns. Stop thinking about other people and Think. About. Yourself."

"I'm sorry, Tul, I . . ." Max began, but Tul interrupted again.

"Stop apologizing god dammnit! Or say your sorry for making us all worry. Say your sorry for risking your life for the team!" Tul stopped, looking at Max's face. "But you can't do that can you? Because you aren't sorry. You would do it again tomorrow if you had to wouldn't you?"