“What? You don’t like it?”

It was a delicate gold necklace holding a white-gold slide that glittered with six different stones – a diamond (her birthday was in April), a pink tourmaline (Selig's birthday was October), a tanzanite (Aislinn was a Christmas baby), two emeralds (the twins’ birthstone) and an amethyst (Loki's birthday fell in early February.)

“I love it, of course, but you didn’t have to.”

“I know I didn’t. I wanted to.” He winked and tugged on the helmet. “While you finish dressing, I’ll round up the other two and wait for you in the nursery.”

She smiled. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

He winked again and walked out to close the door by, and she sighed softly as she gazed down at the green dress. There were times when she was sure she’d cheerfully strangle Loki, but then there were times like this, when she realized just how lucky she was to be where she was and with him. So many people—especially on Midgard—saw him as a villain, as evil and cold, and she wished at times they could see him as he was with her, with their children. She understood their fear, just as she understood his wish to keep the softer side of his personality out of the public eye, but sometimes she just wanted the world (or worlds) to see the good man he was beneath the reputation.

But there was little time to dwell. Odin was expecting her, and so she dressed and brushed out her hair, did a light makeup, and fifteen minutes later, she was in the nursery, butterflies in her belly as she scooped up Kyra, dressed for her debut in a pale pink fleece sleeper (her brother wore one in blue) and smiled down as she took Selig's hand. “Ready, little man?”

He looked like she felt, but nodded. “I am, Mommy.” He glanced up at Loki. “Daddy, I’m a little scared.”

“It’s okay, Sel. There’s nothing to be afraid of,” he told him, glancing from Selig to Aislinn and back. “Nothing for either of you to be afraid of. We’re going to stand out on the terrace off the Throne Room, with Bestefar, and he’s going to introduce your brother and sister. Everyone is going to cheer, and then we’re all going to go into the dining hall to celebrate.”

“I don’t have to say anything?” Selig asked as they started off toward the Throne Room.

“Not a word. None of us do,” McKenna told him, giving his hand a squeeze. “You just smile and wave. Piece of cake.”

But as they neared the Throne Room, her butterflies grew worse. Although she was used to being in Asgard, and accustomed to the treatment and expectations, she still wasn’t at all comfortable with being in the spotlight, no matter how welcoming. Loki had been raised in it, it was really all he’d ever known, but for her, it was like being forced to stand out there stark naked. It made her terribly uncomfortable and almost sick to her stomach.

Those butterflies worsened still as the crowds cheering grew more pronounced. Without thinking, she pulled Kyra a little closer and Selig flinched. “Mommy, you’re hurting my hand.”

“Oh, God… sorry, Selig. I guess I’m a little scared myself.”

Tyra came up to take both Aislinn and Selig's hands. “You two and I will stand behind Mommy and Daddy, all right?”

Both Selig and Aislinn nodded, their faces on the pale side. But as they neared the doors leading to the terrace, they both visibly relaxed. Like their father, they were used to this sort of thing, even if it frightened them a little still, and that was a good thing as far as McKenna was concerned. She didn’t want any of their children to be uncomfortable in their role in the Asgardian Royal Family. It was enough that now they lived under ever present guards and most likely always would. She didn’t want them coming to resent the circumstances of their births.