Atlantic Triangle

~Dress for the event~

(Copyright Notice: These stories are inspired by a role playing character I am playing at the game Romancing Jan - this is only the narrative of her domestic life although some slight references may be made that she has interacted with other characters.  None of this is to be used as knowledge by anyone in the game-just Caroline's POV in her more intimate settings.  The purpose to help me get in character and develop her.

The Copyright of the game Romancing Jan goes entirely to Incantrix Production LLC: https://www.romancingjan.com/)

For Caroline Nsali's Background History, please visit her intro page at Romancing Jan:

https://www.romancingjan.com/forum/backgrounds-and-character-dev/miss-caroline-nsali-boscawen

(Beginning of the Story/Prequel to the Atlantic Triangle)

Evening ~ September 5th, 1810:

She walked barefooted over the wooden floor and the oriental rugs her British ancestors had graced the floor of the chalet which had now been her home for 2 years.  Pragmatically she should have turned on a candle to make her way down the hall.  Still she looked as a mirage in an old ghost story, vision of a lady in her nightgown, touched by moonlight and shadows.  This lady of the brown curls, tanned skin from the Caribbean and eyes wide in wonder of what had her awake and walking about, searching for the door to the garden.  

This land of the beautiful ballrooms and gowns, clothing materials she had to adjust to and bonnets was full of many adventures for Caroline.  And yet sometimes during the night, in her hours of solitude, the physical memories of a different place and time haunted her like ghosts.  Well, they were actual ghosts - her own Taino and Kongo ancestors who still whispered mysteries when she was able to listen.  The quiet night lend itself to these secrets.  

Her feet arrived to the grass, the dew kissing the soles.  She gathered the nightgown to herself, to avoid the moisture damping the seams.  Her eye went up to catch a glimpse of the moon and she took a deep breath, letting the energy of that celestial body fill her, embrace her a vessel.  To her mind came the sights of sapphire ocean and golden sands, coral reef hills and lush trees.  She missed home.  It was the phantom limb of her spirit.  No amount of time, balls and beautiful meadows full of primrose could take away the sensation of climbing trees full of juicy mangoes, swimming with free limbs and bare body, in the culturally accepted natural state of her lands, the songs of her people, the sea breeze.  She was lucky that they lived so close to the coast in Cornwall but they were two faces of water these two homes.  Sometimes this homesickness was so strong that it hurt.

And the only solace she found in remembering that this British Isle was where she had met the face of a woman who made her smile like the sun.  A woman who made many pieces fall in place where they made sense.  An anchor to her new reality.  

The eyes opened and she turned back to her new house.  Time to find her soft bed again.  

~~~

There was one day where Hugh was not in attendance to the Atlantic Triangle and a Caroline sitting on the wooden bench would have heard near her ear.  "I would think you are not as fond of me after the distance you have kept since the Gazette came out."  

Caroline first jumped in place on her seat, startled at the unexpected voice then turned to see Betsey's face leaning close to her.  "What nonsense...don't toy with me."

"I am not, I think the rumor spooked you from contacting me in almost a fortnight."  

"Well it's not true...I just haven't had much time to write a letter in privacy since my mother advised against it, at least for a little while to cool off the rumor mill."  She looked around her and then shrugged with a smirk curling her features.  "You are here now though...quite out of my control, and Mother seems to not make a fuss of you being here...just sit by me while we have a chance."

Betsey grinned and took a seat by Caroline, accepting a punch from Caroline's mother Diana. (Diana looked much amuse at the young enamored people having a moment.  She did not have any  reason to separate them and did not agree with her husband's view that Betsey was not in the same stature as Caroline.  Betsey may not have potential peerage but she was a very accomplished fine stones and minerals merchant with a decent annual income.)

After Diana left them Betsey smiled and leaned to confide in a lowered voice to Caroline - "If it were for me, you would not make it back home tonight."

"Betsey!"

"I don't mean it in disrespect, but dreaming you would follow me...join me in my destiny.  My business is growing Caroline, same as your fathers...I may make a similar fortune soon."

"I do believe you will..."  Caroline looked proud of Betsey, and Betsey took the opportunity to slip her a little brooch adorned with lavender and a yellow bloom.  Caroline smile brightly and pinned the flowers near her collar.  The moment was perfect and she felt wicked for not wanting her father to come back and ruin her moment.  

"I'm very proud how you are holding the stand today with your mother...the women in the family are as fine merchants as the men....I can see where this will be in your hands someday."  

Caroline Nsali smiled gently - "You are kind to notice and say that...it's my dream to continue the family's venture, any branch of it.  It is bringing good income in England, but more than that....it lets us travel back to the Caribbean if we wish to do so.  I do hope I get to go back home a few times...if not for good.  But I would end up coming here I'm sure....to make sure that the export line runs smoothly, and our connections are steady."  She chuckled softly.  "I guess I will always be of two worlds, thanks to my father..."

"I'm glad that you would ponder such a life..."

Just then Diana made a little secretive gesture for the young people to part ways and Betsey made haste to prepare to part.  She did pause to look touch Caroline's hand with a squeeze.  

"Keep writing to me..."  Caroline nodded and watched as Betsey disappeared in between groups that waited by the rum stand.  She made her mind that she would keep her little corsage in place no matter what manner of disapproval her father may give.