Prologue

A dark-haired head bobbed just under the water, eyes studying an approaching ship. He looked up and stared at it, let it pass, and read the words on the side. “The Commando”, the ship was called, and he ran his tongue over his teeth hungrily. He began to follow alongside the ship, pumping his tail. He was alone, which meant for less competition, and a human off this ship would make a great meal. He was anxious for the catch.

He followed it for a ways, watching men move about the top, and he prepared himself to sing. And he was going to do it too when one man exited a cabin and walked out onboard and his song stuck in his throat. He lifted himself a little more above the waves to stare.

The man was small, smaller than the rest, but he was beautiful. He had golden hair that glittered and pretty pink lips and he in the water was stunned into inaction. Something inside him hurt when he looked at the man. Something inside him wanted to look more.

And suddenly, something inside him told him not to sing.

Instead, he followed along with the ship further, watching the man converse with the others, watching him walk, and once, the man came to the railing above where he swam below and he thought if he was only closer, if he was only higher, he could even touch the man, could look at him forever. He'd never felt this way before. He was rather appalled, somehow afraid, and he wasn't sure what to make of it. It wasn't hunger he felt when he looked at the man. Quite the opposite, in fact, he was certain he'd never want to kill him or eat him.

He wasn't sure what to make of this and so after a few more seconds, he tore his eyes away and dove back into the water. But he'd find the man again. He'd find that ship, the Commando, and he'd watch it. He wanted to see that man again.

Author's Note

I'm gonna admit right here and now that I've always had a huge weakspot for disgustingly creative AUs. I've got a few planned and this is just one.

To those who are worried about To Go Unseen, I'm here to tell you that it's okay. I'm still working actively on it and still working towards a good, solid ending. It'll get done, I promise. But I thought it might be fun to share with you some other projects I've been working on! I hope this is as fun to read as it was to write.

I know the cover is lacking. I don't know if I'll be able to get anything much better, but I'm always open to suggestions from readers.

And as always, thank you for reading and thank you for being fantastic. <3

-BlitheBells